CD permissions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by sageenos, Oct 27, 2002.

1. sageenos macrumors member

I just got my Powerbook G4 667, and I'm quite happy with it....except for one nagging problem. The file permissions in Mac OSX.2 are really bugging me. I can deal with most of it, but whenever I insert a cd into the drive it belongs to the system..not to me. Whenever I try and change the permissions so that I can burn cds it pops up with an error code 45. I don't burn that many cds, but I'm going to need the functionality sooner or later. Any help is appreciated ahead of time.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I'm using 10.2 as well, and you say it sets ownership of the blank CD to the system? I just inserted a blank CD and prepared it as a regular ISO9660 disc, and when I view the "Ownership & Permissions" info of the disc (ctrl-clicking the "Get Info" of the CD icon in the Finder), it tells me the owner of is me (read/write), the group is unknown (read/write), and others are read/write.

When burning a CD through the Finder with Disc Copy, the Finder first puts all the data that's going to go on the CD inside a temporary volume that's stored in /Volumes. I'm not sure that the actual CD itself has permissions at this point, as it has no filesystem and is not mounted. I'm not sure what OS X uses as the equivalent of /dev, so I don't know what kind of permissions the CD drive itself has (if any).