CD plays on a PC and not in MAC

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Skilz34, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Skilz34 macrumors member

I try playing a certain audio cd (almost 100% sure it is not a burned copy) and my superdrive spits it out. But an IBM desktop will accept/play it fine.

My MAC will play DVD's, and run other cd's but this one CD it doesn't seem to like. So I know my drive is fine.

Any suggestions?!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Do a search on copy protection. A number of recent CDs have copy protection that prevents the CD from being played on Macs.

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

No idea what the problem is, but remember. Its Mac, not MAC.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've never had that problem unless I try playing certain burnt copies, which I understand since burnt discs are problems for many CD/DVD players depending on the disc quality, the software used, the buffer used, etc.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Re: CD plays on a PC and not in MAC

One of the copy-protection schemes being used now basically makes CDs "Windows only". They'll work in the average stand-alone stereo CD player, but if placed in a computer's CD drive they require a Windows application (which is included on the CD) to be launched.

Basically, these discs have a "data CD" track designed to confuse your computer's CD player into thinking it's not a music CD. Since a stand-alone CD player doesn't even know that non-music CDs exist, they will still play the tracks.

Not much to do other than complain loudly, directly to the disk's manufacturer.

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

What is the point in doing that besides being spiteful to the Macintosh platform? It sounds like it ends up making a case for a person to just rip it from a P2P server and burning it to their own disc, which takes money out of their pocket.

7. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Re: CD plays on a PC and not in MAC

What CD is it?

8. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

You are speaking as if the RIAA is a reasonable entity... ;)

The record companies would like us to buy again for each format, like replacing tapes with CD's, and would love to be able to make the case that digital music is a different format than CDs. Stupid and utterly shortsighted, but that's how they think.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU