1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

CD plays on PC but not on Mac

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Madmic23, Sep 3, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I just went to copy the new Cowboy Troy CD (no comments on my music people!) into iTunes on my Mac, and as soon as I put the disc in it gets ejected. Other music and data CD's work fine on here.
    I put the CD in my PC, and iTunes copied it no problem. What's the deal here?
    I have a 2ghz iMac, any ideas what's going on?
    And no, the disc isn't dirty or scratched.

2. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's probably copy protected...

and quite a few of those schemes don't work on a Mac, I think some of them used to get stuck in slot loading Mac optical drives.

3. macrumors 6502a

fistful

try holding down the shift key while you insert the disc, that usually bypasses the copy protection. ;)

4. macrumors 68020

dubbz

Uhm, you're thinking of Windows here. Don't think that work on a Mac.

5. macrumors 6502

Shift doesn't work

Thanks for the tip, but I tried holding down the shift key and it doesn't work. Is there anyway around this? I'm trying to find reasons to finally get rid of the PC, but it just seems like it keeps doing useful things for me. Not many, but some.

6. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Return the CD to the store, it's defective. They sold you something that's NOT an audio CD. If they offer you to try another one, do it. Then another, etc.

They either have to give you a refund or an audio CD. Since they're only a store, they'll either refund you and/or be left with dozens of opened CDs in stock.

It's not enough to be missing the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo, stores should have separate shelves for those look-alike discs. :mad:

7. macrumors 6502

I bought the Gunther "Ding Dong Song" Single when I was in the UK. The CD refused to play on the iMac g4's I was using there and it wouldn't play on my 17 inch powerbook. THe cd plays perfectly on my brother 15 inch PB and on my iMac G5. It could just be the way they burned it and your cd drive.

8. macrumors 6502a

fistful

I'm almost positive this does work on the Mac as I have a few cds and at least one dvd specifically (The Matrix) that will not mount unless I do this.

All I know is that it has worked for me...

9. macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

Sounds weird, probably copy protected, try it again on a different pc.
    If it works on the different PC, you have some weird action protocol for inserting a certain type of CD... (whatever that could be)

If i doesn't work, than it's copy protected, and you need to get um... "creative" to get anything off it again.

Why don't you just burn the "music" from your PC, or send it across a network?

10. macrumors 6502

Yes, that's what I ended up doing, just ripping it on the PC (with iTunes) and putting the mp3 files on my iMac. I'm just ticked that the iMac doesn't accept the CD. I guess my PC is still good for something after all!