CD-Rom emulation software for MacOS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arribadia, Apr 12, 2005.

1. arribadia macrumors member

Hi guys,

Is there such a thing as a virtual CD-Rom device driver for the Mac?

I know it exists for "other" OSes.. but I've never seen it for the mac before. Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What do you want to accomplish? When you make an ISO or DMG image of a CD-ROM and mount it, it behaves much like a CD-ROM. Hmmm...are we helping you to run pirate games, or do you want to do some kind of testing of write speeds or something? ;)

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

I do this for some games that require a cd to be in the drive tray, but never grabs data from it. It just means i can leave the cd in the case where it wont' get ruined.

4. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

Nah.. not to pirate games, but pretty close :D

I'm a Warcraft person.. but I really don't like the idea of having the CD sit in my drive all the time.. it is bad for both my original disk and the drive. So I usually make an image of it and mount that instead.

Since I'd be going from Windows to Mac.. this is something that I'd be looking out for.. especially cause those slot in drives are pretty expensive to replace when they wear out :rolleyes:

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I think you can use disk images on the Mac for what you want, also. Disk Images are easy to make, with included software called Disk Utility (you'll find it waiting for you in the Utilities folder when you switch! :)).

I use a couple of disk images myself. I made images of my old NT4.0 and Office 97 install disks, to play with MacBochs. :D

6. arribadia thread starter macrumors member

Btw does it support this so-called "subchannel" data?

I have no idea how it is done.. but it seems like some game CDs put some extra info somewhere on the disc that can't be read normally :(