Cd/rw Dvd /rw question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BigRed3373, Feb 23, 2007.

1. BigRed3373 macrumors member

I have been trying to burn a cd for a friend and i keep getting a message supported disc not available after it burns the cd? I have the 17 inch with superdrive. Am i supposed to use some sort of mac type cds or what am i missing:confused: :confused: :mad: :eek: :apple:

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Have you tried playing the cd in a cd player?

or, have you tried using a differnt cds? Some of the cheaper cds dont work so well and the burning process doesnt work. Try to use some "better" media and see if it works.

Good luck :)

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Hmm. Sometimes discs are just duds, I've had a few, or it could be that your optical drive is a little funky. You shouldn't need special Mac discs, though—they should all work, save that your drive supports them. Try putting a disc that you are positively sure works and see if the PB is able to play it/get information off of it.

4. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

oops i am sorry DVD not sure if i posted in the right catgeory:confused:

5. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

You should be fine here...

And are you sure that the DVD is supported? I'm almost positive that the drives in the PBs can use both +/- DVDs, but I'm not beyond-a-reason-of-a-doubt sure. Or are you trying to burn a dual-layer disc? IIRC, dual-layer drives were only in the final generation of PBs, so if yours is older than that, it won't work.

6. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

I am using DVD+RW discs 4x Magnavox I also had the DVD-R those didnt work either its a copy from a copy:confused:

7. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

not sure what dual layer is i am just trying to copy i drag the folders of the copyed one to the desktop they download there it goes through the whole deal and when i try to run it i get that message and it wont play

8. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Mmm...do you know what generation, or some of the specs of your PB? Earlier 17 inch PowerBooks only had DVD-RW drives, not DVD+RW/DVD-RW drives(earlier can read/burn only one, later can read/burn both)...so if you have an earlier machine, your DVD won't work. Or, again, your drive could be funky...did you try to use a disc that you are positive works ie a cd that works in a cd player?

Dual layer is a special kind of DVD that has two layers of information. Most DVDs only have one layer, and you have to have a special drive in order to read both layers. And if one tries to burn the wrong type of rewritable DVD, will it burn and then not play, or not work at all? I'm not sure.

9. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

I just got the IMAC in july of 06 I dont t hink its old version already?

10. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

11. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah, they update the processor they now have core 2 du chips, instead of the core duo that you have.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

13. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

14. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Oh, duur. I just realized you meant you have a 17 inch iMac, not Powerbook. :rolleyes:

So you are able to play DVDs, but not burn to them? Your drive should be able to burn to all rewritable DVDs commonly available, and if the disc is dual layer, it should still burn. This may be an optical drive problem, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet. It could just be a dud disc, could it not? Did you try burning the information onto a different disc?

15. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

SO then i am basically screwed and wont burn correctly Lost :rolleyes:

16. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Its certainly a possibility, but I wouldn't make it a definitive yes quite yet.:)

17. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

This is the first time i tryed to burn a DVD i was able to burn music and such i am sorry 17 inch IMAC bought in july 06

18. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

So you've never burned a DVD before? If you have been able to burn to CDs, your drive, at least in my eyes, should be ok. Optical drives aren't usually able to burn to some media and not others, are they?:confused: It sounds to me that it might just be a dud disc. Try burning to another DVD.

19. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

I tryed 2 already and its the same issue ohh i just dont get it maybe cause it is a burned copy off another computer or drive its werid cause the cd only has 2 folders one is the sound and the other is vidoe well the sound is empty and the video one has files such as .ts .ifo. vob. and bup extension:( s

20. BigRed3373 thread starter macrumors member

Well thank you all my neew friends:D here i am going to let it go for now maybe it just don't like copys from other devices You have been a big help i dont think my optical is bad i will try another DVD willsee from there if i get that to work then this was just a bad copy and mac got fustrated over it and said tough on you haha:) :p :D

21. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Well, good luck. Maybe your iMac is just a little funky today. And I don't think I've ever heard of a few of those filenames—hopefully it isn't something stupid like the files aren't supported under OS X:rolleyes: That wouldn't be very cool.