CD-RW in Powerbook 1400 Expansion bay?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Plutoniq, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Plutoniq macrumors member

Jul 25, 2003
    To date, I haven't read of anybody actually installing a CD-RW into the Powerbook 1400's expansion bay module........ but I think it can be done?

There is a little information online regarding replacing the Original 12x CD-ROM that shipped with the 1400, with a 24X Teac CD-ROM (CD-224E). Basically the mod involves removing the bare drive from the expansion bay module, and replacing it with the 24x Teac bare drive. You can read the whole shabang 'ere;

No problem with the concept here, I did this myself with my Pismo.......removed the DVD-ROM from the expansion module and replaced it with a Toshiba DVD-R/RW (SD-R6012).

Anyways, back on track....... It seems the Teac CD-224E (24X CD-ROM) has a very similiar form factor to the Teac CD-W224E, which is a 4X CD-R/RW. I'm thinking it would be very very sweet if, like the CD-224E, it could be installed iinto the Powerbook 1400's expansion bay module........ Up until now, external SCSI burners have been the only route for CD burning on a 1400, however....built in is a lot more convenient, and probably cheaper....and more styling :)

any thought or additions?
  2. Plutoniq thread starter macrumors member

Jul 25, 2003
    Actually, I was wrong. The Teac CD-W244E is a 24X CD-R burner..... all the more reason to investigate :)