CD RW question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by burger011, Mar 18, 2003.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    My iMac (600mhz) wont except cd's anymore. I was wondering if I bought another cd burner (external) connect it by firewire would it "just work" or would I need to load some software first before I could use the new burner? (also would an external hard drive "just work" as well)

Thanks ahead of time for the info.

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002
    My experience with LaCie FW devices under OSX has proven to be completly seemless. I understand that the vast majority of FW devices operate in the same driverless manor (in OSX atleast), simply check for compatability before you purchase the specific drive - because it is quite likely the odd few of any widget will have compatability issues.
  3. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    I agree. LaCie FW products work like a charm... No drivers needed in OS X
  4. burger011 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
  5. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan

Try talking to Apple, if your iMac drive just isn't working, maybe you can get a new replacement or something... :) It's worth a shot...
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Re: hhhmmmmmm...

An external firewire drive will most likely cost less. Also I suspect that at some point (sooner than later) burger011 will replace the iMac and at that point the firewire drive becomes a second/spare drive for the new system.

However, if the system is going to be kept for a year or more, getting the drive replaced might be a good idea. This keeps the clutter down. Although I'm wondering when the next component will fail. (Hardrive or powersupply most likely.)