CD-RW Rejected from iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Loomish, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Loomish macrumors newbie

Loomish

Hey guys,

I have a G3 iMac (2001 Slot Loading, OS 10.3.9) that will not accept the Memorex CD-RW Rewritable disks I bought. Is there something I can do to format these so they work?

Thanks!
    Heather

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Does your iMac have a CD-burner? Ejection is the normal behaviour of a CD-ROM-only drive when blank writable media is inserted.

3. Loomish thread starter macrumors newbie

Loomish

Yes, I'm able to burn CD's on my iMac. Is that the problem?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Heather, what is "CD-RX?" I've never heard of that format. Is that interchangeable with CD-RW? The latter is the standard read-write format supported by most burners....

5. Loomish thread starter macrumors newbie

Loomish

CD-RW, not CD-RX. I'm sorry:eek: It says "Burning the disk failed because this type of CD is not supported. Error: 0x80020043. What am I doing?

Heather

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Very early CD burners were CD-R only and didn't support CD-RW. Either that is the case with yours, or your Memorex media is in some way not compatible with older CD-RW drives.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oh, okay, no problem. :)

Has it been written to already by another computer, or is this the first time? If so, you may need to use Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) to erase the disc first.

Otherwise, it could just be a weird difference between your drive and that disc brand...and you might need to try a different brand. That's a strange thing, but I've heard of it happening once in a rare while.... :(

EDIT: There's also the possibility mentioned above by CanadaRAM, but as far as Apple History says, the iMac went straight from CD to CD-RW....

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

The G3 slot-load iMacs used 8x/4x/24x CD-RW drives.

My G3 iMac had a similar problem with a spindle of no-name discs. The first attempt to burn always failed, but if I inserted the disc a second time, it worked. Try burning to the same disc again.