cd stuck in drive for nth time

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by warbs, Dec 14, 2003.

1. warbs macrumors newbie

using my almost new 12inch powerbook. first my itunes crashed but managed to fix that, then an audio cd got stuck in the drive, after i eventually got it out (pressed the eject key when all the noises stopped, i was prompted for my password, i gave it then it ejected). anyway, same thing happened when i put another audio cd in the drive. the cd doesnt show on the desktop or within itunes....problem with software or with drive? any suggestions. or links to archive of smae question

2. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

does it only happen with itunes and audio cds or does it happen with any type of cd?

iJon

4. Mala macrumors 6502

What eject key?

I had a CD disappear off the desktop here (I've been asking about it on the Panther discussion here) and was kindly shown how to eject it: restart with the mouse held down.

The weird thing is that the CD/DVD-writer (is it called a SuperDrive? Combo Drive? Can't remember - anyway, it's supposed to write CDs and DVDs) isn't showing up in the System Profiler.

I too should probably send the computer back, since it's only days old - but this isn't a fun machine, it's my primary work tool, and it would cost me my livelihood to be without it.

Is this a known PowerBook problem by any chance? Mine is a G4 15" PowerBook running Panther.

5. morgan-e macrumors member

i had this problem with my 12 inch as well (on 10.2.6). i am not sure if you have or not, but there is a firmware update that is supposed to stop hesitant and non-ejecting combo drives (old news), but if you do not have that, try it (although it supposedly does not work once a disk is already stuck).

my problem occurred last fall, i had purchased my PB in march and was silly enough to wait on apple care, and was an unemployed student when i needed it and could not spare the cash :). i had problems with the 10.2.8 update a couple months ago, and my only solution was to fresh install the OS back to 10.2.3

not being able to do this, and the flawed 10.2.8 update rendering me unable to log in, i, out of frustration, began pressing the eject key with other keys randomly until the infernal CD came out.

this probably doesn't help you, but if all else fails, try a little key mashing.