CD tray opens when waking from sleep

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moot, Oct 31, 2004.

1. moot macrumors regular

My iBook has just developed a funny problem. When waking from sleep the CD tray opens :mad:

I close it and it stays closed, until woken up again.

It also opens when I restart my computer. It opens before closing down and then once again on restarting! :confused:

Cant seem to find anything about this on the forums so I'm asking all you kind folks for advice.

I havent installed anything new recently on my dual USB ibook running OSX10.35.

What do you think has happenned?

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Halloween?

This is a new one for me. Have you tried all the usual suspects?

repair permissions
    run cron jobs

3. moot thread starter macrumors regular

Firstly, let me say thank you for your reply. I was beginning to think that nobody had any advice for me.

I've tried to do everything I could think off. Repaired permissions, run the cron (periodic daily, weekly and monthly.) Even done somthing called updating the prebinding(whatever that means :eek: )

I checked with the Apple Hardware Test CD (everything passed including the CD ROM)

I booted into single user mode and ran fsck. (no problems with my disk)

I booted into OS9 and the same things happen. (So does this mean its not an OS problem)

I'm beginning to think that your first suggestion is right. Halloween. After all it started on October 31. Maybe something has taken up residence in my iBook. :mad:

Any more advice is still deeply appreciated. :)

4. moot thread starter macrumors regular

This problem is driving me nuts.

I'm afraid that maybe it's the beginning of my drive going through the process of dying. There seems to be a nice number of dead combo drives listed on the discussion boards on Apple's site. see here :mad:

In fact one user there has the same problem as mine - exact symptoms. But unfortunately no-one has posted giving any advice. So it looks like we are both stuck.

I have installed OSX 10.36 and it has not solved the problem.

really, really, really, any advice at all is greatly appreciated :D

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I couldn't really think of anything other than wondering whether it does it even if there is something in the drive. I haven't used sleep on any of my machines since Mac OS X just because it never seemed reliable.

When I first saw the thread, I thought about waking up. Pretty much the first thing I want when I wake up is to eat. Think about it. ;) Your machine is hungry.

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Is it under AppleCare? Bring it in to an Apple Store, to a Genius Bar, and see if they know. That sounds really weird!

7. moot thread starter macrumors regular

maybe, but hungry for what.

And yes it pops out even with a disk inside. However at the moment it still is willing to read and write to CDs.

My bad luck. No Applecare as I didnt buy the machine myself but got it from a friend who had given up on Apple.

Anyhow, thanks for your ideas. :)

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

A PC I used years ago had the same problem...

Turns out someone installed a prank program to do this.
    I'm not sure this is any help though, as I don't know if an equivilent exists for Mac.

9. moot thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it seems that I've got an early Xmas present.

The gremlin who moved into my iBook for Haloween has packed up his bags and moved out for Christmas. For some unexplainable reason, this problem has now suddenly disapeared as suddenly as it appeared. Absolutely no idea why, but I'm just happy anyway.

I know no-one is interested in this update but I thought that I would post and close this thread just in case someone else gets the same problem and does a search of this forum for an answer. My advice to you is to wait until the next holiday. ;)

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Interesting

Good thing that New Years' Day is coming. :p