Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NakedLunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Okay, I've searched the forums pretty thoroughly, but no one has listed these exact symptoms.

I've got a PowerPC G5 running 10.4. After four years of dedicated service, my Superdrive gave out, so I bought a Sony drive (SONY DVD RW DRU-842A in profiler) to replace it.

Here's the trouble:

Any time the machine goes to sleep with a disc in the drive, it won't eject when I wake it up. I have to restart, then eject. Other than that, the drive works beautifully. If this question has been answered elsewhere, please redirect me there, sorry for the repost.

Speaking of sleep, when I put the machine to sleep through the menu it goes fully to sleep (no fan/other noise). But when it goes to sleep on its own, I can still hear the machine churning away. Any ideas? My roomate has a newer Mac Pro that doesn't do this.

Thanks, everyone.

Fomaphone

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
my dual 2.5 ppc was having an identical problem in its last couple of weeks... both the drive thing and the fan/sleep thing. i had also gotten a sony replacement drive. it'd open up fine if i held the flap down, though.

maybe the fans are on because it's still really hot after use? when was the last time you cleaned it?

NakedLunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Thanks for the advice, but it didn't work for me. What a freakin' pain.

Also, I cleaned out the machine when I put the new drive in about a month ago. Oh well, maybe the answer is out there somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.