Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fastamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Hi:

I have a 12 inch Powerbook and have a CD stuck in the drive. I have tried ALL of the tricks of the trade to get it out. I have gone to the Genius Bar as well. The guy used the command prompt, stuck a little stick in the drive and immediately told me that its non-responsive and that I need to replace it.

The drive does spin up when booting, but it does not let me eject the disk.

Is there ANY physical way to get the disk out. I don't want to spring $300 for the repair.

Any answers would be appreciated.

F

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
have you tried holding down the mouse (trackpad) button on restart?

but it sounds like that probably won't work anyways in your situation, if the guy at the genius bar tried to force eject with a paperclip or similar tool, and it didn't work, i'd say theres nothin more you can do. Take it to the pro's.

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I had the same problem a few months ago on my iBook. Fortunately, I was mart enough to get Apple Care and they replaced the drive.

fastamm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Interestingly, the 12 Inch PB does not have a physical eject button! The TiBook still head one.

Seems to me like a really costly (and dumb) oversight.

Ironically, I was trying to install Tiger. So now my Tiger CD is stuck.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
fastamm said:
Interestingly, the 12 Inch PB does not have a physical eject button! The TiBook still head one.

Yes, a bummer. I had a hell of a time with a friend's iMac DV. There is a trick to getting it out, but on the PB is much harder. It would be easier without the case, but then...

You can of course attempt the repair yourself; I am sure the optical drive is not very expensive. However, after buying it, is it really worth the difference you would be paying Apple?

I highly recommend:

http://www.powerbookresq.com/

My good mate's drive went out; they were faster and cheaper than Apple and they did a tremendous job.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Here's a possible solution if it isn't a busted drive:

First try repairing permissions, shutting down (not restarting), wait 20 seconds and then start-up holding the trackpad key down.

This worked with mine after a poorly glued CD label had folded over in the drive and jammed, the drive was completely unresponsive, even on start-up, I thought it was dead, but it ejected on the startup.

If that doesn't work, restart the machine in Open Firmware mode (restart holding Apple+alt+O+F) once the prompt comes up type eject cd and press return.

The drive should eject.

The type mac-boot to restart.

If nothing happens you may well have a busted mechanism, and you'll need to talk to Apple some more.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
fastamm said:

what is a physical eject button? It couldn't be the eject button next to f12 right? since, its there...... :confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
dorqiekat said:
yes, 12 inch Al powerbook.

That's weird, I always thought the iBook and the PowerBook had the same keyboard layout. My F12 key is an eject button.

BTW, I hope I wasn't sounding accusational before, I'm generally inquisitive.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
mad jew said:
That's weird, I always thought the iBook and the PowerBook had the same keyboard layout. My F12 key is an eject button.

BTW, I hope I wasn't sounding accusational before, I'm generally inquisitive.

yeah, they said 12in pb not having a physical eject. And here I am, staring at my 12 inch powerbook, with an eject button. Right next to the F12. I got confused. Thinking maybe there were other ejct buttons.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I think he was talking about a mechanical button you push with a paperclip to release the drive. The button on the keyboard is still software/electronics related.

inlimbo

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
Sydney, Australia
I have the solution!

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I think it was because I accidently ran into the door frame with my PB ( :eek: it was only a tap really - these things are damn sensitive) and it jolted the drive and the CD then was stuck. It think in my case the CD wasn't stuck but the drive had moved - if that makes sense.

I tried all those tricks to no avail. BUT!!! Here is how I fixed it:
1) turn off your PB/iBook
2) Close the lid
3) Pick it up with both hands
4) Shake it from left to right a few times in the air. Not rapidly from left to right BUT rather a big quick swing to the left and then a big quick swing to the right. Do it two times.
5) It should jolt the CD and or drive back to where it should be.

Hope that solves your prob. It solved mine!!!

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
Not the most elegant of solutions, but....while the unit is on, take a business card and insert it into the optical drive and just move it around. Back and forth on the top & bottom of the stuck disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.