CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 17, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that employees of Chinese carrier China Telecom have successfully jailbroken and unlocked the CDMA iPhone 4, getting the device to run on the company's network.
    China Telecom has reportedly been in talks with Apple to offer the CDMA iPhone 4 and a new report from Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White points to hints that a deal is probably coming sometime this year.
    China Telecom currently has 90.5 million subscribers, putting it only slightly behind Verizon and AT&T in terms of total subscriber base.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone Unlocked to Run on China Telecom Network, Deal Coming?
  2. macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2007
    I wonder how they got to that screen on the Verizon iPhone? I can't find it anywhere on mine. Not that it is a huge deal, just wondered how they got to that screen?
  3. macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2007
    I don't see the fact that the company is publicly endorsing jailbreaking & unlocking as an indication that a deal with Apple is coming soon, but whatever...
  4. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
  5. macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2004
    Ozark, Missouri
    Unless I'm not understanding something correctly, I was always under the impression that an unlock on a CDMA phone didn't even exist because the phone's not "locked" -- the network provider only has to add the phone's ESN to its database.

Given that these were some employees of the provider, it really wouldn't be hard to add the Verizon iPhone to its network.
  6. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    I believe that you still need to program the NAM on the phone, but having never seen a Verizon iPhone I don't know whether a jailbreak is required for that or not. You'd also need to know the SPC although I read somewhere that all Verizon phones just use 000000.
  7. macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2009
    Costa Mesa, CA
    "There's gonna be a jaaaaaaaaaailbreak!" (In my best Bon Scott voice) :D
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 12, 2007
    You are very correct. Only part that might be different and require a modification would be carrier settings. I'm not 100% sure how the iPhone works, but I would assume that there are some kind of carrier settings that tell the iPhone what servers to use for that carrier etc. When I used to mod my motorola v3m, I would take a brazilian carrier's software (because verizons for it sucked) and install it, but then had to rewrite manually each verizon specific setting back to it. It wasnt difficult, but it wasnt easy. GSM is different, the GSM card has everything the phone needs to know for the most part. So, Yes, in theory all China Telecom would have to do is add the ESNs, but i don't know if it would be able to do data.. cell calls yes, but data out of the box, probably not.
  9. macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2004
    Ozark, Missouri
    From the photo they posted, it looks like they've got data (albeit, 1xRTT). Don't know if they had to do any additional modification to get that, though.
  10. macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2007
    Cape Cod, MA
    So true, how to get Apple to want to work on your network.

Step 1 Hack the Phone..

Step 2... there is no step 2
  11. macrumors 6502a

Aug 31, 2004
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If a customer jailbreaks the iPhone, Apple blacklists the device and turns the water hose on the "offender." So what happens when the jailbreaker is a telecom company?
  12. macrumors 6502a

Jul 29, 2007
    Settings/Phone/Verizon Services
  13. macrumors 65816

Oct 25, 2009
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Was just about to post this. LOL
  14. macrumors 68020

Nov 2, 2010
    Los Angeles but missing San Diego </3
  15. macrumors 6502

Mar 27, 2004
    Ozark, Missouri
    Something doesn't sound right because it's a load of garbage. Unless he's a Sprint employee who is able to provision new devices on the Sprint network, his video is a fake.

It's not as simple as unlocking the GSM iPhone to work on a network other than AT&T or placing some random file on the phone.
  16. macrumors 6502

Nov 4, 2009
    Would be nice if Apple would just open up the iPhone to all carriers so people don't have to hack the phone like this.
  17. macrumors member

Jun 16, 2010
    I thought the steps were like this.

1) Obtain a iPhone

2) Hack iPhone

3) ?????

4) Profit!
  18. macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2011
    Free download:confused:
  19. macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2011
  20. macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2011
    youhave old baseband
    you can update it to new unlockable one
  21. macrumors newbie

Jul 17, 2010
    Not yet

still don't see any deal here, i'm in shanghai, china for more than 6 month!

i've been waiting!