CDR question

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by The Reaper, Aug 25, 2003.

1. The Reaper macrumors member

Apr 17, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    i have heard that with normal CDR disks, it is possible to add content onto the end of an already burnt disk, as long as there is some space left. how?

also, how do i do this for audio CDs? i heard something about 'finalizing" etc.
  2. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    With data cd's you can burn multiple sessions.
    But you cant do it with audio cd's.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
  3. Tobeupat4am macrumors newbie

Jan 2, 2002
    Sydney Australia
    Just a quick comment

With Toast, you have the option of "burning a session"or "burning the disk".

If you "burn the session" (ie other sessions have left space or room on the CD-R or DVD-R) you can come back and add more info (data), but when you put that burnt CD into your drive you will have 2 (or 3 or whatever) disks appear on your desktop). A good way to use a CD.

If on the other hand you "burn disk", it finishes (or closes it off) the disk off and you can no longer write to it. So even if you only use 50MB out of 700 MB you lose it.

I am not sure about audio CDs, but am aware to play correctly, for some reason they usually need to "close off the session". I gather that is simply burning some info into the CD that indicates the structure and length of the files (data/music) on it.. a little like an index at the beginning of a book, it is not created (or written) untill the book is finalised. That now actually makes sense to me :)

Have a good day

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Actually, you can burn multiple sessions with audio CDs, as long as the other sessions have data only. You can't do multiple audio sessions. But the first session has to be the one with the audio.

Remember, though, that you have to burn it as a session the first time you burn it. You can't add sessions to a CD already burnt as a disk.