CDR support for non-supported drives in panther

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sickracer2015, Jun 26, 2003.

1. sickracer2015 macrumors member

CDR support for panther has totally be re-designed making it VERY difficult (probably done on purpose by apple) to hack drivers to have 3rd party drives supported. I have found where the drives are kept. actually just stored in a single file.. I was able to get my unsupported drive to work correctly.

1. Navigate to: System/Library/Frameworks/DiscRecording.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DeviceSupport.drprofile and make a copy on the desktop and make a backup as well.
    2. Open the DeviceSupport.drprofile in textedit
    3. Do a search for your drive manufacture ex. samsung
    there will be a string that lists the current model, (go to the apple system profiler to get your drive model)
    change the string that has the current model number to your model eg i changed CDRW/DVD SW-250 to CDRW/DVD SM-352B
    4. from there look up and look for <key>DRDeviceAlternateVendorNames</key>
    <string>XXX</string> whatever XXX says change it to your model brand name (eg, sony, samsung etc...
    5.a few lines down you'll see
    </dict>
    <keyDRDeviceOverrifeCanWriteCDSAO</key>
    <false/>

change the false to <true/>
    to replace this file with the original you'll have to back-track to the previous folder "Resources" and get info on the folder and change the privileges so you have read write access
    and finally replace the edited file with the original save and restart.

hope this makes sense

2. kaitech macrumors newbie

Unsupported CDR

1. Navigate to: System/Library/Frameworks/DiscRecording.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DeviceSupport.drprofile and make a copy on the desktop and make a backup as well.

This file does not exist in the location specified for my installation of Panther (now at 10.3.1) Any other tips?:confused: