Cds and DVDs

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by miTunes75, Oct 21, 2006.

?

How do you store your CDs and DVDs?

1. In original cases

19 vote(s)
    65.5%
  2. Not in original cases

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. miTunes75 macrumors 6502

Just curious....

How do ya'll store your CDs and DVDs? In a binder, shelf, multi-media case?

Let's discuss.

Me? Everything is in a binder. DVD cases are gone. Jewel cases are gone.

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Depends. My World of Warcraft CDs are stored in the box that they came in. ;) As in the paper box that talks about the game and the little folding thing on the front. ;)

3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Do you throw them away? That's kind of a waste. What about the documents that come with the disc?

I keep everything in their original packaging.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

CDs: In their original cases, in a CD bookshelf thingy that holds a TON of CDs (something like 400?). The only time they come out is when I want to play them in the car... otherwise, all of my music is played from ripped media files and then the CDs are stored away.

DVDs: It depends. I have a DVD changer that holds 400 DVDs... the DVDs that live in the changer have their cases stored in watertight plastic containers, which I keep in my storage unit. The DVDs that don't live in the changer, I keep in their original cases on a DVD storage rack in my media closet.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I keep both in their original cases.

I don't like keeping all of my CD's in a binder. I used to, but it got stolen. I lost almost all of my CD's. It's far too easy to take one binder full of 200 CD's rather than 200 CD's in their jewel cases.

I also keep my DVD's in their original cases. Most of my DVD's are Criterion Collection though, so there is always some sort of big insert inside, most of the time essays on the film or other fun stuff to read. I'd never keep my DVD's in a binder for the same reason as the CD's, especially because most of my DVD's run about $30-40.

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I keep everything in its original cases.

- 200 CD rack in the office which has overflowed into a pile on the floor next to it.

- DVD/VHS rack in the living room.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Movie DVD's stay in their cases.

Music CD's do too. Unless they're burned, then I usually don't put them in a case at all. :eek:

For software CD's and DVD's, they just stay in those little paper envelopes in a drawer. Their boxes and instructions, etc. go up on a storage shelf.

8. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

So you own or rent a storage unit and keep them there??

9. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

heh, I just bought Click today. It has a box around the dvd case that the dvd case slides into. Do people keep those or throw them out and just keep the cases?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The cases, not the DVDs... but it's not climate or humidity-controlled, so the cases are stored in these big watertight (and largely airtight) Rubbermaid storage boxes. (I have the storage unit for many other things, as well, not just this one thing, obviously.)

I keep those, as well.

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Anyone using binders care to recommend any, or other alternative storage? I have mine in the original cases but they are taking up way too much space. Particularly DVDs. Why on earth do they have to go in non-square boxes when they are circular?

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

CDs: A combination of DiscSox for the 700+ audio CDs + spindles & binders for data CDs.

DVDs: Still in Amaray cases, but running out of room... May soon switch some to sleeves.

B

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Retail shelf presence. Remember how CDs used to come in long cardboard boxes with the jewel case inside? Same thing.

14. miTunes75 thread starter macrumors 6502

I love that site! It has given me some great ideas! Thank you for sharing that with us! I think those cabinets are the way to go! Also, those sleeves are perfect!

15. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Cases we don't need no stinkin' cases

CaseLogic 300+ binders for all. Although I have gotten lazy over the last year or two. The only discs I keep in their original cases are PSP and imported Japanese GameCube games (I only own 1 US GC game). Those little cases don't take up much space. I also can't bring myself to throw out the boxes my imported special edition DVDs from Japan came in. They're made out of stronger heavier materials than US boxes.

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

DVD movies and computer games - DVD cases (got 100 on ebay for $20) on bookshelf

Audio CDs - bookshelf in jewels

Data : Binders

Backups : Spindles.

17. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I was very disappointed with the CaseLogic sleeves and binders. Many discs I accessed semi-often ended up with scratches on them, and the bigger binders got quite heavy.

That's one problem I haven't had since switching them to the DiscSox. (I still use the CL binders for archival discs accessed more frequently than the ones on spindles.)

B

18. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Actually all my CaseLogic binders are really old. Those new pages and locking mechanism binders don't look to seure.

19. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In all fairness it's been over 5 years since I looked at any CaseLogic stuff. The initial batch I'm complaining about were purchased just over 10 years ago...

B