CD's getting stuck coming out of front slot. How to fix?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by roxy1107, Jul 5, 2004.

1. roxy1107 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know how to replace the fuzzy stuff that sits just inside the opening of the CD slot in an iMac DV SE 400? It looks really worn and the CD's are getting stuck on their way out. We have to use tweezers to get the CD's out. I am thinking that since I don't have air conditioning here in the heat of Texas summers that the fiber has detertiorated. I am wondering if it is something that I can replace. Thanks for any advice about this.
    Roxy

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

To really get the material off, you'll probably need to remove the front casing, which is not really an easy task. i've done it once, and i won't be doing it again. Or you could just rip it off and hope for the best. In my experience however, CDs getting stuck there are the result of the case shifting; try pushing all of the pieces together to see if you can realign some plastic or something. Sometimes a single plastic snap will come apart and cause this sort of thing. Try and figure out if it's the top or bottom that's getting stuck and push the plastic away from it. you may get lucky...

my iMac does this, but only to some of the CDs i put in. so i don't pay too much attention, considering most people are replacing iMac 400s...

paul

3. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

It's actually quite easy to access the fluffy mouth (errr for want of a better expression!) of the slot load drive. Use instructions found on the web for replacing the HD, they show you how you unscrew the bottom of the iMac and remove the plastic cover (easier than it sounds) you'll then have access from the inside.

Don't know what you could replace it with though - maybe remove it altogether and make a cardboard flap on the outside?

Not sure that its the fluffy bit causing you problems. I've taken my iMac apart a few times now and i've found that if you're not careful when putting it back together the slot can become out of allignment with the actual CDRW drive. So it's still worth opening it up and taking a look, just taking it apart and putting it together again might solve it.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

oops, tma is right, that part is part of the bottom cover which is easy to remove. all you need is a philips screwdriver. i don't think you'd really need to put anything over the slot, the foam is there to protect the innards from dust exposure, just run a blast of compressed air across it every once in a while.

paul

5. roxy1107 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I was mechanical I'd do it...next best thing is...

Thanks for the info. I'll see if the Compressed air will help. I can see that part of that "dust sleeve" is gone. I have never taken the computer apart and probably won't myself. Murphy's law pretty much dictates that I'll not get it back together right. I do have access to a repair shop at the University I work for, but what a hassle to haul this computer up there. I've done that before when the system folder decided to disappear.

6. roxy1107 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that's tough, but I may try it. I cleaned my keyboard yestereday. There was so much dust/cat hair, etc in my keyboard I'm surprised it worked. I live on a farm and don't have airconditioning, so the windows are always open and there is a lot of dust. I also have 7 cats. You can imagine the cat hair floating around.
    I't been a mild summer so far. Only up to around 98 degrees. Cool in my book, but it has gotten up to 107 in the house. Can't be good for any part of the computer.