CD's reaking havoc with PowerBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macOSX-tastic, Feb 9, 2006.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

a friend recently lent me a CD to burn to my iTunes library, but unfortunately he treats his CD's rather badly. i try to import the CD into the library, and it is for the most part, successful. as it get's to the last song, the cd goes into an infinite speeding up and slowing down cycle and causes itunes to become unresponsive.

i force quit itunes, and the CD stops the infinite loop and can be ejected normally after about 1 minute of looping after itunes has quit. everything then returns to normal. could this be a problem with my CD drive? ir could it just be the immensly scratched CD?

thanks for any input!

S

2. randas macrumors member

randas

Dose it do this with other cd's? Otherwise its probably just the cd

3. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

it has done it with one other CD, which is also pretty scratched and also lent to me. other disks, such as DVD's and OS X installer disks work with no flaws.

S

4. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I think it's the CD.....when a CD is in bad shape the drive is not too happy with it but tries to read it you will also hear a loud crunching. I had serveral CDs that did this to my drive.

Bless

5. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

could be....i tried to play the songs off the CD and not import them, and that seems to work fine with MOST of the tracks, there are 1 or two which cause the looping problem. i guess it is the CD.

revenge is in the air!

maybe worthwhile doing an apple hardware test just to reassure me:D

S

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've had this problem on my PB. I have a couple of CDs that, for whatever reason (no obvious defects) won't import on either of my slot-loading portables (PB and iBook). The drive does the spin up-spin down thing over and over. Sometimes it'll give up after a while and spit the disc out, but occasionally I've had to go as far as a hard restart in order to get the disc out.

I have been able to import from these discs on my older iBook, which has a tray-loading drive. Slot-loading drives are very picky about their media...but they're awfully thin! :D

7. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

well, apple hardware test shows nothing.....im guessing it is just the CD's because every other disc appears to work....eg the hardware test cd couldnt have worked or any DVD's i play. its a shame that slot loading drives can be so picky, i cant however explain how this works.

yesterday, i imported a brand new fleetwood mac CD with no problems.

it beats the hell out of the wintel machines on my corridor though:D

thanks for the help everyone, i guess i can stop panicking!

S