CDs to get cheaper

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mactastic, Sep 4, 2003.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link

Looks like Universal Music is (belatedly) trying to revive slumping CD sales. $10 is about all I'm willing to pay for an albumn anyway. That's what I can get one for on iTMS, so that would make me a lot more tempted to actually go to the store to get the physical disk, liner notes, etc.

2. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh shoot, the one place I forgot to look for this was MacBytes! Sorry, my bad!

3. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Probably most retailers will see this as a chance to gain a better profit margin on CD's...not a chance to pass savings on to consumers. I doubt final prices will go down to $10. Maybe down by $2, but not down by $6.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Absolutely...this is about gaining control back from the filesharing & internet services. Record companies aren't the least bit interested in what the consumer wants, only money. If it were otherwise, prices wouldn't have been so high to begin with in the last 10 years, and this would not have had to happen.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

bingo.

virgin and sam goody and tower will continue to charge 17 or 18 bucks, but they'll just be making more profit on it all

so, i guess their stocks are gonna shoot up... as it were.

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah but someone will want to undercut the competition and will lower prices just to get the business. Walmart and others sell them at a loss already just to bring in business.