CD's work DVD's do not

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by velocityg4, Dec 5, 2006.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Hello,

My buddy has dual DVD burners set up in his G4 tower. The top drive works great opening data DVD's and playing DVD movies. But his lower drive will not. It can still open data CD's and play music CD's but no type of DVD will work at all, neither Movies or Data discs.

Both drives use to work flawlessly for both but after he moved the lower drive started having these problems. What could possibly be wrong. Since the drive still recognizes CD's could the laser just not be focusing well enough for DVD's any longer?

Both drives are the exact same make and model could there be some sort of conflict?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Just in case you ask he has not performed any software updates recently and this problem just showed up after moving.

Thanks

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If the computer was recently moved around a bit there is a chance that something has become loose on the inside or, in the worst case scenario, something has broken.

Try opening the computer up and unplugging and plugging in the cables again. Sounds trivial, but it might help.

3. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Actually that was my first response to the problem.

I'm actually sort of hoping the drive is broken. So that it is a thirty dollar repair rather than say a new motherboard.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

it's most likely a broken drive

they aren't happen to be pioneer dvr-106?

5. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Hopefully it is just a broken drive

They are Samsung S-162L's.