Celebrity diseases

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just heard on the news that Robert De Niro has prostate cancer. I don't see news of it on the web yet, but I'm sure the news will spread fast.

When a celebrity gets a disease, it focuses attention on that disease, and a lot of people read about the symptoms and treatment, and whether you can do anything to lessen your own chances of getting it. It's too bad when anyone gets prostate cancer, and I wish De Niro well, but celebrities help spread medical information simply by being famous and sick at the same time.

I also heard that Alan Alda was rushed to the hospital tonight. Maybe we're about to learn about another disease or condition. Good luck to Alda too.

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

michael j fox brought awareness to parkinson's

lou gehrig brought awareness to als

ronald reagan brought awareness to ahlzheimer's

rock hudson and magic johnson brought awareness to hiv

muhammed ali not only brought attention to parkinson's but also to the danger of boxing

steve young brought attention to concussions

christopher reeve brought attention to spinal cord injury

patricia neill brought attention to manic depression as did ted turner

princess diana brought attention to land mines and child amputees

della reese is bringing attention to diabetes

sally struthers brought attention to starvation in the third world

daniel day lewis brought awareness to cerebral palsy

dr ruth brought attention to sex

dr phil brought in pop culture self help

and most famous of all...jerry lewis and his muscular distrophy drives

4. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

tons of celebs have/had eating disorders .. and a lot of other stuff.

the more people know about (any) disease, the easier for those having that it will be.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wish both Robert De Niro and Alan Alda all the best. Public awarness of the diseases is a good thing. It can save many lives. If it just saves one life, then it is well worth the time to publicize.

6. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

More...

Madame Curie and Eleanor Roosevelt died of aplastic anemia (AA), as did Mia Hamm's brother Garrett.

Senator Paul Tsongsas and scientist Carl Sagan both died of a related disease: myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS), as did Maureen Starkey, first wife of Ringo Starr.

Betty Ford, having dealt with alcoholism herself, founded her well-known clinic.

7. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Michael Jackson made well-known the existence of an obscure genetic condition among African-Americans that turns their skin white.

8. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Yep.

Calista Flockheart
    Jennifer Connelly

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

uh huh. it's called 'money'.

pnw

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Did anyone famous have breast cancer? Someone must have.

11. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

i thought he got lou gehrig's deisease- i mean- the chances of getting a diesease named after you... unlucky guy.

12. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

There is an actual genetic disorder. And Michael Jackson does supposedly have it. It's not something to be lightly dismissed and laughed at.

13. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

and you believe the man who claims to have only had "one, maybe 2" operations on his face?

14. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

I'm not sure he actually has it, but it's been adequately proven that the condition exists.

15. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

it exists but the effects it has on the skin do not match MJ's skin. Apparently the disorder causes severe blotches, whereas MJ is completely white. Its suggested that MJ wears white tape over his fingernails because he effectively 'bleaches' his skin but obviously can't bleach ths skin under his nails.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Betty Ford was one of the first one's to come out. It was during her White House tour or shortly there after that she had her mastectomy. She was very vocal for women to do breast self examsand a yearly visit to the doctor.

17. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

MJ supposedly uses makeup to even out his skin tone, but the condition makes one's skin vulnerable to sunlight, which is why he wears that silly hat and bandana. Nonetheless, whether he has the condition or not, MJ has made more people aware of it.

18. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

<spam>
    can't argue with that!
    </spam>

19. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

The condition is called vitiligo. It causes large patches of melanin deficient skin, which show up as pale white blotches. Sunlight excaberates the condition. My aunt has the disease. If Jackson actually has it, he uses something to even out his skin.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

and Bob Dole made it possible to lift that sunken ship. ;)

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That one region of the body has more phrases, synonyms, and similes then I think anything else on earth. It's truly amazing.

22. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

A lot of people learned about anorexia for the first time after Karen Carpenter died from it.

"Mama" Cass Elliot died from a heart attack that resulted from long-term obesity and a body weakened by crash diets, but nobody heard that lesson because of the urban myth that she died by choking on a ham sandwich.

23. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Abraham Lincoln had Marfan Syndrome. Because of my height when they say me at a university they worked me up for this. The diagnosis was ruled out.

http://www.io.com/~cortese/marfan/

24. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Mathematician/economist John Nash (made famous by the book and movie "A Beautiful Mind") brought increased attention to schizophrenia. But he wasn't a "normal" person to start with, in the sense that his brain was already operating on a different plane than the rest of us when he became disabled by mental illness, so people who learned about his life probably didn't see themselves as potentially being in his shoes.

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

while on the topic of baseball... tommy john is now well known for the reconstructive elbow surgery that's very common these days... it's not a "grave" illness like others, but thought to mention...

how about freddy mercury and AIDS? (as opposed to HIV?) a bit of specialized area, but many swimmers are famous for fighting asthma (tom dolan) or diabetes (gary hall jr.).

mario lemieux and hogskin's disease?