Celine Dion CD destroys new iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by McFreggle, May 14, 2002.

1. McFreggle macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Hi everyone,

Don't shoot me if this allready has been posted somewhere else, but can someone confirm this story:
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4067

It seems like bull**** to me. Okay, the new iMacs don't have that little hole to get a CD out with a paperclip, but as far as I know, you can unload every CD by rebooting the computer and holding the mouse button.

I once had a problem with a CD-RW that couldn't be read in my iMac-CD-R-drive, and then I did the same.

Any comments on this one?

See you when the Rack Mounts are in,
    k.

2. McFreggle thread starter macrumors 6502

McFreggle

Hey! My post has automatically been censored! I didn't type those ***'s :D

k.

3. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

read this from the knowledge base from Apple to get this problem out of the way.

indeed the imac will start up/crash forever if you don't know what to do.

I suggest that you you post a reaction on this, mentioning how they can avoid this problem.

4. j763 macrumors 6502a

You guys might want to check out this page (w/Google Translation).

Saw this a while ago on the reg...

oh, and why the **** would you buy a celine dion cd anyways?? :D

5. McFreggle thread starter macrumors 6502

McFreggle

I did, but I was in a hurry, so it's not very good...

Oh well whatever...

k.

(BTW I'm still in a hurry ;))

6. McFreggle thread starter macrumors 6502

McFreggle

True.

We should thank Apple on our bare knees that they **** computers with Built-In Whine-Music-Protection.

Thanks Steve!
    k.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I've been waiting for this topic

These problems are being caused by Sony products, mostly. Celine Dion's CD (if you can call it that - more later), is just one. Another one is the J.Lo remix album. And I think that Star Wars: Episode II is a third.

Anyways, the point that I'm trying to make is that these "CDs" aren't CDs anymore. By doing whatever it is that they're doing, these discs fall outside the definition of a CD. So they can't market these as CDs, nor can they use the CD logo on the packaging. Furthermore, they should definately put a huge warning on the package (although I don't think they do).

Here's what I propose. We should all pressure the retailers (i.e. Best Buy, Walmart, etc.) to put these "CDs" in a whole separate section. They currently segregate the CDs and DVDs by area and signs. They should have a 3rd section/signage for these Audio Discs.

Plus, they should not be allowed to advertise these discs with the term "CD". If they do, then they should be liable for any damage done to any equipment that conforms to the CD standard.

I think that if enough people complain to the big retailers, the music distributors will get the message.

BTW, I wonder if Sony's Audio CDs with this cr@p on it will work on their Vaios? Could be an monopoly thing if they do.

8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

Does anyone know, if this is Sony's official stand? Does it mean, all of Sony's "cds" cause this problem?

9. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Celine Dion will ruin more than your Mac. She will ruin your life. ;)

When was the last time anyone looked for the CD logo when they bought a disc? (When was the last time anyone here bought a disc at all... but that's beside my[]/i], but not Sony's point). People are so used to buying CDs they do not check to see if they are buying a CD. If it's the same size as a normal CD case, and looks like a normal CD, people will assume that it is a CD.

I don't know the technical stuff behind it, but it surely won't be long before new CD drives can read these CDs. I really don't see much point.

A quick search at audiogalaxy.com for "shakira laundry" turns up not just every individual track on the album, but also the full album as a .zip file!

If people want free music, not letting them listen to it in their Macs or PCs will not stop them, as my above paragraph proves. There are more ways to get a CD onto your hard disk than just clicking the 'Convert to MP3' button in iTunes.

Who do Sony think they are kidding?

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

ahh, but ...

Very true!!! :D

More reason to get the retailer to separate these "CDs". They won't want to do it. At the minimum, they'll have to point out that these aren't CDs with big, ugly signs.

Yeah, but if Celine has already killed your Mac, you won't be listening to any music (on your Mac).

11. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I can't be bothered going to ur URL but MacAddict had a story about Celine Dion killing iMacs as well..

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    now, THATS funny!

but seriously, there is an implied contract with the consumer that sony is breaking if the product is not a CD( and yet is sold with other CD's in a music store). if i'd had more than one cup of coffee i could think of the actual terminology(where's the taxman...someone turn on the emergency beacon...). its much like going to a tire store and buying a tire for your car only to find out later you actually bought a large edible donut. damages would obviously be different but you get my drift....

there will be a plethora of new attempts at copyright protection, both overt and covert, in the future...just wait.:eek:

13. McFreggle thread starter macrumors 6502

McFreggle

And why the **** was _this_ censored??
    They SHIP computers. S H I P. Like a boat.
    Not doggypoop or so (unless I made a typo).

Well I ever...

k.

14. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Completely illogical.

These so-called "protection schemes" don't make a bit of sense. I know quite a few people (myself included) who do not own a standalone CD player and use their CD drives for all music playback. Thus, schemes like this one make the "CD" completely unusable. As people start to catch on, I would wager that this would hurt sales more than the Evil Villain of Music Sharing (gasp!).

Furthermore, isn't it my right as a consumer to make a copy of music that I own for my own use (and I mean, legitimately - I'm not just saying that as a cover for music sharing)? Sony shouldn't be able to prevent me from transferring songs from my CD to my iPod (if I owned one) or to my hard disk for playback for my own use.

This is crap.

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Re: Completely illogical.

not only that, its futile. there is no encryption that won't eventually be broken so whats the point. and you do have the right to make a personal copy of your CD-thats generally accepted and no-one,to my knowledge, is out to change that( regardless of some of the rhetoric floating around ).

sony has caught major flak for this experiment and i bet they rethink this program pronto. besides, it is ineffective. if i wanted to post that celine dion CD on the web, i could. there are simple workarounds. their tactic is not truly addressing the issue or causes of piracy.

i am concerned about piracy-it does affect my income. but programming landmines into CD's won't change the inevitable.

16. pc_convert? macrumors regular

The " Cactus Data Shield" problem has already been 'solved'

Just a bit of sticky tape! Read the linked article for more details.

Then rip it and join a p2p network to show the music industry your appreciation for their ill-conceived ideas....

17. Matthé macrumors member

apple?

surely this problem can be adressed by apple with a simple software update? (same for PC's)
    Apple should issue fixes for all new ways of copyprotecting issuing the right to back-up for everyone
    I know there are other ways to get around the problem but that shouldn't be necessary, it's our right to copy
    SUE THE BASTARDS!

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

my school's admin just sent a letter out about this. we've already lost numerous disk drives because of people sticking weird things in them, guess we can expect to loose a few imacs now. they won't get far though...either the consumers will make them pay or the supreme court will givem' a whoopn' :D :D