CELL CHIP?? Big news for apple?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by burger011, Feb 6, 2005.

1. burger011 macrumors regular

2. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

3. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Actually, yeah, that was reported somewhere around the day after the PS2 came out, which happened to be something like 4 years ago.

Anyway, if Apple used, that would be very cool.

I read a report last year that stated if the PS3 were to come out today it would be the 45th most powerful computer in the world. Which for a video game console is amazing. The PS3 should be stunning.

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

iPray for Cell processors for Macs. If Apple did introduce a cell-based Mac, it would not be called a PowerMac. It would be called something else entirely as the entire OS would have to be re-written to Cray-like efficiency.

5. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

it would be called the Powermac G6

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Yup

But i think that it would take a very long to re-write the OS and apps so maby they come up with something else better than the cell cpu (IBM has been working on the next gen PowerPC cpu's for a long time, started even before the G5 was out, so let's just sit and wait) :p

7. JRM macrumors member

I Had to do it!!!

CELL Powerbook next Tuesday!!!!

4.6GHZ?

But i heard reports of 4.2GHZ

8. SBG88 macrumors regular

Awesome!! Just cancelled my Powerbook order.

9. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

Maybe, just maybe, that next gen PowerPC cpu they have been working on is a cover up for the CELL.

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

iPod Shuffle

iPod mini

iPod

iPod Photo

iPod Video a.k.a. iPod Cell. ;) :)

It had already been stated that iPod didn't have a powerful enough processor in the current and past generations and the Cell processor is scalable, so I think this will become a reality. :)

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Market the Cell processor as a G5, I don't think that will happen. :)

Apple might as well move away from the "G"moniker, we already know who has the G6 moniker. :p :rolleyes: , no need for associations. ;) :)

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Why?, just Cell it when the new ones are released. ;) :)

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

14. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

GonzoRob

when they release it ...

i guess the next superbowl ad with have Jennifer Lopez in it .......

(movie geek :) )

15. ClimbingTheLog macrumors 6502a

How Hot?

How hot does this thing run?

I wonder how many unannounced sessions there will be at WWDC this year...

16. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Wow... This is a pretty big advancement, isn't it? We were having a discussion in our Adv. Computers class with the teacher (who was explaining the cell processor), and he said that the transistors in this thing are only a few atoms long :eek: Is that true? Or was he thinking about something else?

17. geoffism macrumors regular

geoffism

Kiss of death. ;)

Why don't we just go total mainstream and have Trump push it like nickel crack on his show?

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this is the G6/powerpc 980

it's power5 based and has crazy fast altivec which was rumored to be in the 980.

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

If you noticed it doesn't mention Apple, geez whats with this speculation you guys keep having.

Its made in east fishkill so therefore its a Mac Chip?
    No.

It will probably slow G5 production tho since a chip like this (presumably) will be for the PS3 and the PS3 will have no doubt huugee demand.

If you noticed this aint a PowerPC chip, no doubt it could be turned into one if apple wished it, but the G5 roadmap has been leaked for a while so I don't see the Cell fitting in anywhere. We still need dual core and higher speed increases. '3GHZ chip in 12 months' anyone?

20. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Digging through this speculation...

http://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell0.html

...leads one to think that a Cell might not replace a G5 (or G6) for ALL tasks. But might be used ALONGSIDE one, in theory. (And it also suggests that developing for the Cell could be more difficult than for traditional processors.)

All speculative, but it could be one more reason why Apple chose wisely in going with PPC over x86.

My expectation is still that the G6 will be a POWER5-based chip, but I'm sure Apple won't ignore Cell IF it truly has Mac potential.

21. relimw macrumors 6502a

Since you're oblivious to what is happening this week, I'd like to point out that ISSCC is this week, and IBM and friends will be presenting 5 papers relating to the Cell processor (mainly on Tuesday).

Some new information regarding the chip:

22. allpar macrumors 6502

Pontiac may have a G6, but as I recall, cellphone tech has a G3. I'm sure there are lots of Gs out there, but a trademark only extends to one domain...

23. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Which begs the question is this the CPU that will be powering Mac OS 11?

The time frame could be right? :confused: Another 4-5 years down the road. The question is does the G5 have long enough legs to take Apple that far. Since there is now talk of dual core my _guess_ is yes.

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I've seen rumors (maybe more?) that although Apple worked with IBM on creating a desktop POWER4 variant (the PPC 970 aka G5) after POWER4 already existed... but that with POWER5, Apple and IBM have worked together on the desktop flavor from the start. Implication: that a POWER5 Mac chip (PPC 980 or whatever it might be called) would follow closely on the heels of POWER5.

If that's true, then the POWER5 desktop chip Apple is likely to use as a "G6" is probably NOT the Cell processor, but rather a different POWER5 chip.

The Cell is interesting too, but it's not the ONLY thing beyond the G5.

(And it's possible Apple might choose to keep the G5 name for both POWER4 and POWER5 chips. Regardless, POWER5 is the generation leap I am waiting for to buy a PowerMac. Good thing my G4 already has enough speed for me!)

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

judging on how bad the movie "the cell" was, i'm not expecting these anytime soon. :p

prolly MWDC 2008.