Cell phone buying advice needed (cingular)!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pluckie, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Pluckie macrumors member

May 7, 2005
    So, I've had problems with my Motorola V551 (don't get one!) and I now need a replacement. My service is Cingular. Here are the three things I'm considering:

1) Motorola SLVR L7 (199.99) - For size, and the occasional iTunes

2) Sony Ericsson w600i (99.99 after MIR) - For great OS, camera, occasional music

3) Buy w600i, sell for profit of ~$100 on eBay, use money to buy Sony Ericsson w800i.

The SLVR is really calling my name b/c of the thinness, but I'm hesitant because of the crappy interface and the price. The only reason I'd take it over the w600i would be because of size. I really like the w800i but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay $250 for it after the hassle of selling the other phone on eBay.

Any suggestions???? (besides waiting for the iPod phone :D)
  2. Lyle macrumors 68000

Jun 11, 2003
    Madison, Alabama
    I'm going to piggyback (but not hijack) this thread and note that I'm also with Cingular. My current phone is a Sony Ericsson T637, but I'm eligible for an upgrade now. Am looking at the SE Z520a and the Motorola V557 simply because they're two phones that I can get for (almost) free. Would appreciate advice from anyone who's familiar with these phones...
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
  4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I have, along with many a friend (and foe) vowed never to buy a motorola made phone again, atleast until they seriously reconsider their OS and core design features. I would reccomend going with either the samsung (I have an excellent one right now) or the Sony (always liked them as well).

5. cyberddot macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2003
    in a forest
    I just ordered a Razr V3 for $49 oop w/a 2 year Cingular contract. We already have 2 iPods in the house so the SLVR didn't do it for me. I thought I'd done plenty of research, but I'll grant I was swayed by the pRon factor that the Razr has going. Any reason you aren't considering one?

6. Pluckie thread starter macrumors member

May 7, 2005
    I completely agree. I can't stand the OS. I saw on the new Razor, the V3c (or something like that) they have a much better looking OS, but it performs sluggishly. I probably won't end up getting the SLVR because it uses the old, crappier OS.
  7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    I currently have an SE T637. Things may have changed with the newer models, but here is my experience -

The interface tends to run a little but slow. The phone will freeze for a few seconds or will not react right away. But, it does recognize the button as having been pressed, so you have to be careful - it will catch up all at once. The phone feels like it was better built than my last phone (a Moto). I like the clean interface on the SE, but I am a big fan of being able to customize the main screen on the Moto. Customizing the home keys means that even though I don't have MediaNet I don't lose one of the shortcuts (up on the joystick is the internet shortcut). I hating the battery life on the Moto and love it on the SE. I think for my next phone I am going to wait for something designed by Apple, but if they announce that they will not enter the market I will probbly get the SLVR or its successor.

If only I could get something without a camera...
  8. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    (razr + cingular here)

my biggest peeve with the razr and the majority of all moto phones is this: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=191390

that being said, the slvr is still a pretty cool phone, and I personally think the sony ericssons you mentioned look like crap compared to the slvr (if it's one thing moto seems to be better at than a LOT of other cellphone manufacturers, it's the looks, just like apple :p ).
    If you have some cash floating around, I'd get the samsung z510 if I were you. Looks just as good as the razr and is much better (lol can you even get those here?)...or maybe a nokia 7380 (come on...a cellphone the size of a pack of gum...lol) :)
  9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I've got a SonyEricsson S710a, which the W800i is somewhat based on. I say go for the W600 or W800
  10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I have the w600i and I like it a lot. I waited for a long, long time before upgrading, because I wanted to find a phone that was better than my T616. For me, bluetooth is a must, and it does work with Address Book. I can't get the phone to mount on my Mac, though, and that seems to be a hit or miss issue. For some people, it mounts just fine, for others it doesn't. I can't figure out why mine won't. (If anyone knows, please, please IM me.) As a result, I don't use the tunes very often, but I still like the phone VERY much. SE makes great phones.