cell phone -cancer protector

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Nov 27, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

A friend said there was a round thing you could buy to put on a cell phone that causes cancer. It is like a little round attachment. does anyone know where you can get them? do the cell phone shops in the mall cell them? These things cost like $20 or something.

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Do you mean something that prevents your cell phone from causing cancer? B/C you said it caused cancer above.........why would you want to put something on your cell phone that causes cancer?
    Just trying to clarify your inquiry.

3. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

If you mean something to absorb radiation or prevent cancer, I think it's silly. Quite frankly, there is no proof at all that cell phones cause cancer, and the radiation on the newer ones (2000 and after) is just so minimal - you'd have to use a phone full time for 75 years before anything happened.

4. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Reference please.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Actually, cancer may be caused at any moment......the probability of damage to a cell just happens to be small, but like UV, it only takes one little bit of energy......

And I don't really know if a plate of any sort is going to protect you from UV. I'm thinking it would have to be somewhat thick, as those types of waves were meant to penetrate a distance through walls and such.

But I really don't know much about mobiles or mobile signals, so....... meh.

6. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

7. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

More realistic protection from cell phone dangers:

If your cell phone is cheap and/or prone to getting hot, get a Kevlar glove for your phone hand as it may blow up. Or just use the land line.

8. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

where can I get one? I heard that it will help prevent the cause of cancer. Sorry I was not clear

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's bogus. Nothing can prevent cancer, and, as mentioned above, modern cell phone radiation levels are perfectly safe.

However, if you're concerned, your best option is to get a wireless (Bluetooth) headset and use that - they make ones which plug a transceiver into any cellphone headphone jack, so any phone can use one. Then, the phone never gets close to your head.

You won't be any safer. But maybe you'll feel safer.

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

To repeat: what you'll find to "prevent cancer" is a bogus rip-off that does nothing other than play on ignorance and fear.

Let me say it again: it's a rip-off. Period.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Stick you phone in your front pocket and forget about it.

Your more likely to lose your nads to an exploding cell phone because you bought a cheap Lithium battery and dropped the phone (which tends to damage the battery and make it explode.) :p

13. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Not until you realize that you just replaced one possible cancer-causing radio wave generator with another cancer-causing radio generator that's closer to your head.

14. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

If you are scared of radiation, just buy a Bluetooth-equipped phone and an Bluetooth headset. Put the phone on the table or on the dashboard in the car.

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The difference is the power of the transmitter involved. A Bluetooth transmitter only has to create a signal powerful enough to go within 10-30 feet, while a cell phone transmitter must emit a signal powerful enough to reach a much more distant tower.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Probably not so true with BT headphones, but I thought the research that said that a wired headset, with the phone in a coat breast pocket, acted as an antenna in some cases and increased the amount of radiation transmitted into the head vis-à-vis holding the phone to the head, to be really interesting.

So far, there is no evidence of negative outcomes due to this radiation. But then again, research on what low levels of radiation like a cell-phone emits does to the brain are really unclear. It's quite a lot different than gamma rays incident on the head, because it isn't ionizing radiation. It's unclear if the effect is approximately equivalent to having a heater next to your head, but with deeper penetration, or if there are unique effects due to the radiation....

The patches are *supposed* to work by changing the permitivity characteristics of the milieu, so that the shape of the emitted field from the phone changes and more of the field goes away from your head. Like a reverse antenna. But I have a hard time believing that it can really work when you just randomly slap it somewhere on the phone, and where isn't important, and each phone has different field characteristics. I wouldn't be surprised if it worked in one specific hand configuration on one specific phone when placed in one specific place though.

So I'd agree with everyone else, don't bother.

But if you really just want a source, try froogling "cell phone radiation protector." Or if you're *that* lazy, click here:

17. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Gee. Can they even say things like this? Sounds like snake oil...

http://www.uniquefengshuishop.com/M...UFSS&Product_Code=EMF-+CELL&Category_Code=EMF

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This is a hands free device will become even more handy. It's an issue with driving safety. A cell phone is essential for my wife as a visiting nurse. So she now also receives less of the waves that the phone emits. I think that it will be another 10 years at least before they will have definitive studies on the causal relationship of cell phones and brain cancer.