Cell Phone for modem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yg17, Oct 23, 2005.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The univeristy I attend gives us free dial up access. For the most part, I could care less, except for the rare occasions when I have my PowerBook and no WiFi access, like, say a hotel for example.

The first and easiest option is to just plug the PowerBook directly into the phone line and use that. Except, it's not a toll free number, so chances are, it's going to cost me an arm and a leg in long distance.

The second option, and the one I'm trying to get working, is use my cell phone (Moto V551) as a modem over Bluetooth. I know I can get a high speed plan with Cingular, but that's expensive. I have free nights and weekends, free long distance and a buttload of daytime minutes, so ideally, I could just use the university dial up number from anywhere and not be charged long distance. If I just have my cell phone dial a regular telephone number, how is Cingular going to know whether it's voice or data? Problem is, I can't get this to work. I can pair the phone and computer, and I ran through the wizard and entered the phone number, username and password. When it tries to connect, it gets as far as "Contacting PPP Server" and then gives me an error that says "A modem error occured. Please verify your settings and try again."

Is what I'm trying to do even possible, and if it is, what am I doing wrong? Thanks.

2. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

I made a little progress. I installed the modem scripts, and now for a couple seconds, the phone will say "Dialing [number]", that will go away, and OSX will give me a message that says "No carrier detected". At least the phone is attempting to dial.

BTW, I can dial the number on the phone manually and hear those awful dial up screeching sounds. Takes me down memory lane back to my days before cable. Then I hear the sounds for 10 seconds and want to quickly turn around and run in the opposite direction :D