Cell Phone: Help me, look!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacAztec, Oct 30, 2005.

1. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am looking to get a new Cell Phone, as my Motorola v400 is just a piece of sh*t, and I get no reception anywhere. I am on Cingular.

I can spend about $150 (for a new phone, I am keeping my existing plan, and I am not upgrading). I can't get a discount and sign up for 2 more years, and get the phone for free (or however those deals work).

I was thinking about the Nokia 6102. I like flip-phones, and I hear it has great reception. Does anyone have this phone?

Can I get some recommendations for phones (this one, or others in my price range)?

Thanks a lot

2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

The Nokia 6101/2 is a really good phone, the only thing is doesn't have is bluetooth, I dont know if you really want it or not, but if not, it is a good phone that does a lot.

3. mac-er macrumors 65816

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I dont think its your phone that's a piece of ****, I think it's Cingular. I have a Motorola V551 and my parents both have LG phones, we both have Cingular and get crap for reception.

5. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

A lot of people have issues with motorola and the quality of the phones. But you are right, it could be Cingular, if you are having issues with calls, but if the phone is acting up...its the phones problem.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It depends on the area. Supposedly, Cingular is great in certain places, like New Jersey.

When I was out near where MacAztec lives, I got good reception with SprintPCS but there seem to be fewer towers. I even got good reception in other parts of SoCal, much better than here in Floriduh.

7. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I am pretty sure it is my phone, because my friend has the Sony S710a, and when he comes to my house, he can talk on his phone, but I am complete dead with signal.

Piece of crap Motorola phones, they make no good phones.

8. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Cell Phone, which one?

Well, I posted a thread about the Nokia 6102, but now I am in a bit of a debacle.

I am going to be getting an iBook in the next couple weeks, with Bluetooth and everything. My brother says that I shouldn't get a phone if it doesn't have Bluetooth, and the Nokia 6102 doesn't have bluetooth!

Is Bluetooth worth it? The Nokia 6102 I hear is a good phone, gets good reception, and is semi-fairly priced ($150).

What other phones out there work well with Macs, on the Cingular network, and are in my price range of around $150.

I need a phone that gets good signal too, that is why the 6102 was my first choice.

Anyone?

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have the Motorola V551, works well with OSX. Although I'm about to chuck the damn thing out my 6th story window, but that's because of Cingular's wonderful service :rolleyes: not the phone itself.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My V551's been good to me. It's Cingular's service that ticks me off. But it's a good phone. Been dropped on hard concrete surfaces from several feet up several times and it still works like a charm.

bousozoku, I guess it does depend on the area, but they need to choose their areas better. I've got 5 bars of reception now in my tiny college town. I've driven halfway across the country over the summer twice (STL to NYC, STL to New Orleans) and in the middle of nowhere, I've gotten great reception, and in towns of 100 people, I was able to use my phone. But when I go home to St. Louis, I get crap for reception.
    Middle of nowhere where cell phones are a new concept to people living there, perfect reception. Heavily populated suburbs with rich people who use cell phones a lot for business. Nothing. :rolleyes:

11. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I've got a v551 too. Good phone. I'm probably in a different segment of the market from you, though. I'm one of those people who use their phones as phones. It's nice knowing that I have options, but I honestly never use bluetooth. The v551 gets good reception, especially where I'm at. Cingular's good where I'm at =]

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sooo jealous :D

410 days, 20 hours, 9 minutes and 45 seconds until my contract with Cingular is up :D

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

One thread is enough. If you want the title changed, let us know.

14. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    Cingular has horrible service in CA. After about 2 years, the Mrs. and I switched to Verizon because her brother( using Verizon) always had great reception when we had none...whether it be in Los Angeles, Idylwild, Carpenteria...where-ever.

Now we have great reception on both my POS Motorola and her LGVX8100.

Ditch Cingular.

15. MacAztec thread starter macrumors 68040

MacAztec

I guess we will ditch Cingular after our contract is up (next July). I hear Verizon is pretty sweet, and I think we will go to them.