Cell Phone Help...

Discussion in 'Community' started by shadowfax0, Jun 25, 2002.

1. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Ok, I want to buy this cell phone right? It's this REALLY nice one, it's got bluetooth, IR, Internet at speeds of up to 28.8, EMS, GPRS (It's the whole 28.8 internet thing), works in over 120 different countries, has email, contacts, address book, all this crazy stuff, BUT, HOW THE HELL DO I GET A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR IT?! It's made by Ericsson, it's the T39 model
    (http://www.ericsson.gr/t39/), but I called Nextel, they don't support anything but our good friend *scowl* Motorola, and AT&T asked me to, "...read the serial number off the back of the battery cover..." OK, I'll buy the phone ($300 USD) give them the serial number so they can tell me IT DOESN'T WORK? Has everyone lost ALL THEIR sense? Uggh, anyhow, I'm hoping you techies can help me out here, please...:eek:

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How can a phone not work?
    If things in the states are the same as here then the ONLY problem you have is when companys "SIM-LOCK" their handsets so that they will only work with SIM cards on their network.
    But as long as you get an "UN-LOCKED" phone or one from one of the networks that don't SIM-LOCK then you can use them on any network.
    I don't understand how they could say it wouldn't work :confused:
    You simply take the SIM card from your current phone and stick it in an UN-LOCKED T39, no problem.

3. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING! Thanks BTW, I will throw that at them :D

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No probs, I did the same sort of thing.
    I bought a Brand New Boxed T68 (UN-LOCKED) when they had just come out off of eBay, stuck in my T-Mobile (One2one as it was then) SIM and off I went, no problem!

5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I think the reason they want to know is to confirm that all of the features are compatible with their systems. But, yes, slap in your SIM and run amuck with your new phone. Sounds nice, let us know how it turns out.

6. coolocity macrumors regular

Cingular uses ericson phones, that's what I use. I don't have the suped-up version like you do, but I'm pretty much that it's the only brand of phones they distribute with plans. They have stores on every god-foresaken block in this town, shouldn't be hard to find.

7. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all info everyone! I can always count on you folks to be helpful, one of the only sure things these days :rolleyes:

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

hehehe, no problem.
    It really is a great community we have going here at macrumors, over at spymac all they seem to do is slag each other off from the little I've read, it's just not the same at all.

9. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

...I only have one thing to say...I hate America, sure we get the movies first, but it seems to me everything else is last...ho hum...:rolleyes:

10. shadowfax0 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, Skip that whole little thing there...thank god there's Voicestream, phew :D

11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

you should go check out the phones on sonyericsson.com. I want the Nokia 8910 when it comes out for America.

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I wouldn't buy a phone now. The new 3G systems are coming out this year. Cingular and others will have much much better offerings in the next couple of months or so.

Do some research on upcoming 3G systems and their capabilities. Also make damn sure any phone you get will be compatible with the new transmission network.