Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you buy one and how much would you pay for it at the most?

• Yes, less than $200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, $200-$300

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • Yes, $300-$400

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Yes, $400-$500

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Yes, over $500

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • No, not at all

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Depends on the price and if I really need it

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
If there was a such thing as a Cell Phone/PDA/MP3 Player all-in-one that fits snuggly in your pocket (doesn't have to be made by Apple, but it would be nice :) ), would you buy it? How much would you be willing to pay for it at the most?

edit: Imagine how things would be much cheaper and more convenient if you could pay separately for each service the device is capable of providing. For example, in order to use the cell phone functionality of the device you would have to purchase a security code that you use to unlock the phone functionality of the device, but you could also activate the PDA functionality of the device the same way, and the same way for the MP3 functionality, too. In order to use the device, you would have to activate at least one functionality, but you choose what to activate and what not to activate. This way you only get what you pay for and end up spending less money, but the other functionalities are there if you ever need them. The device could not be marketed as a phone because phone functionality is not required to make the device work; instead it could be marketed as a cell phone, PDA, an MP3 Player and possibly even a pager. Make sense?

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the price of such a beast would be way over $500...assuming they included good components in the sucker...like a 5 gig drive at least...more than 15 hours of battery life...since it's a phone and it will eat up the battery fast.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Well, if we waited long enough for technology to improve and prices to drop then it wouldn't be so expensive, and would probably have better technology than is available today. :D

Sherman

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berzerkeley
That would kick so much ass. The biggest problem I see with it is the interface, it couldn't be a simple as apples iPod controls, but it would probably have a set of numbers. Who knows. Apple has some great design geniuses, if someone can figure it out, it's them.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
These phones already exist...

Umm, these phones already exist and have been on the market for a while now. Nokia's 9000 series comes to mind, as well as m$'s pocket pc phones.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by Sherman
That would kick so much ass. The biggest problem I see with it is the interface, it couldn't be a simple as apples iPod controls, but it would probably have a set of numbers. Who knows. Apple has some great design geniuses, if someone can figure it out, it's them.

Yes, I agree with that statement. :D

guv

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2002
Scotland
u can get these in the uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/560818/ref=br_bx_c_1_3/026-4001554-4758831

not as big backing storage tho...

and expensive..

apple wouldnt make a dent in the fone market. nokia, ericsson, siemans, sony and motarola already fight over that market, and all make a **** load more than apple every quater. for apple to enter, it would hav to be a competitor to the Nokia comunicator, (which u can play sensible soccer on) and that is the standard,
premier if u want, fone of its class.
PDA/MP3 player maybe, but if they market it as a fone- it wont happen.

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Okay, I have been a huge proponent of this device for a long time now. The main issue is price. The size can be overcome, but the price would have a lot of R & D built in.

A cell phone is not a smart device, and can be emulated via sotware. The big size issue here is the antenna, speaker & mic. The PDA element adds screen real estate to an existing iPod.

Take an iPod, upgrade the PCB to allow for the necessary new hardware, use the 20GB drive, make it a bit bigger to allow for screen, mic, speaker. Emulate PDA, mobile phone, and pager via software. Give it an upgrade slot, and you have a killer phone/pda/mp3/pager player. If you want a GPS, digital camera, airport, etc you accomplish this via a card.

I would buy that device for up to $1200, because I'm sick of all the hardware on either side of my nuts. Average business users (who own 2 of 3), would prolly pay $600+. And between the iPod interface, and a side roller, it could be one handed with ease. It would not become obsolete, because new technologies would be via software emulation.

Oh for empty pockets....

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by Shrek
Nipsy, if you had a phone, why would you need a pager? :confused:

This is a question I often ask...but you can't deny that there are millions of people out there with both. I see them everywhere. My favorites are the guys I see at SFO with Nextel, 2 Pagers, Palm, sometimes MP3, and Laptop. Everyone of these guys would pay (or have the company pay) $1000 to trim that down!

Seeing as it is about 1MB of code, why not?

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Personally, I'm not sure that I want all those features in one single gadget. I feel like my phone--with an address book, web browser, voice memo, etc.--is already starting to push the limits of useability. As someone noted, interface and useability become big issues when things get that complicated.

I think what Casio has done with their new Exilim ex-m1 is pretty cool: 1.3 mp camera and mp3 player with limited video recording features, all in a credit-card-size package. If Apple can take that and add a 1 GB flash memory and some sort of video stream capability (for video conferencing via QT6), it would rock.

Shrek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Nashville, Tennessee USA
Originally posted by dongmin
As someone noted, interface and useability become big issues when things get that complicated.

And as someone noted, the folks at Apple are "innovative geniuses." In other words, if anyone can figure out a way to make the interface simple, it's Apple Computer; besides, their the ones that made the iPods so simple "a baby could figure it out." Period. ;)

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
Colorado
I kinda already have one... I just bought the new sony ericsson T68i. It has all of the functions of a PDA, you can buy an MP3 player for it, it came with a camera, it has wireless internet (that's always connected), it's obviously a phone, bluetooth (will work with ical when it comes out) works with a few other i apps also (haven't tried it yet, but it was shown at MWNY), it has a color screen, 6 days battery life, and it weight next to nothing. All for about $200.

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Originally posted by Shrek
I don't see where they include an MP3 Player, topicolo. Their also too big to fit in your pocket. :p

all of m$'s pocketpc phones play mp3s and some of them are small enough to fit in your pocket. The XDA O2 for example is one of them. infosync

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
If apple released one - it would probably be over $500, because apple products are expensive. THey are good quality, and the best :) , but there is no denying their cost. I dont really need one though, but I would take one if someone offered it to me for free :p .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.