cell phone question... unlocked phones

Discussion in 'Community' started by JeDiBoYTJ, Apr 9, 2005.

1. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ok. I have a nokia phone that was locked under its old service provider. I have since unlocked it.

question is, can I walk into my service providers store, hand them the phone, and have them activate it, no questions asked? Its a newer phone, so I assume it will work under most service providers

2. ProjektJ macrumors member

if you're using t-mobile or cingular, no need to have them activate it, simply pop in the sim card yourself. if it's sprint or verizon, it may be tricky...as unlocking cdma phones isn't nearly as easy, or successful

3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Maybe we can help more if we knew who your provider was, and who you want to switch to.

If your stayin on the same type of network say GSM, (ATT/Cingular, T-mobile, etc) you should have problems, but CDMA ( Verizon, Sprint, US Cell, Altell, etc) you may run into problems. Its best to head on into the provider you want to go with, and ask.

4. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

yeah, popping in the sim card will do the trick, thats all the lady did when i went in to have my phone checked cause it cant send SMS when i have gsm service, kinda odd and it came down to it that it was the phone it self that had problems, but i dont want to pay to activate the phone they will provide , and im waiting for the itunes phone, oh and i have cingular.