Cell Phone Services

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Jul 27, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Which cell phone service is the best for a family plan?

My family's Cingular plan is about to run out and we are shopping for the best deal.

Is it just me, or is there no site that compares the major cell phone services?

I've been searching for one for quite a while and haven't been able to find one, so I came here for help.

scem0

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I'm not really sure which one is the best plan either.

Have you not been happy with your Cingular plan?

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

That would require alot of work because the promos change very rapidly and rates aer different for different parts of the country and world....its not like apple where they control the prices across the US so I guess its up to your own research

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife has been unhappy with her Sprint Cell phone service of late. She's been getting a lot of dropped calls. They told her that it might be that she needs to update her software.

5. firewizard macrumors member

in my opinion, i have verizon
    i travel not a lot ut i do my shatre of traveling
    and verizon has the least amount of dropped calls and the best coverage,
    im not sure about the family plans though,
    im just giving my opinion on there service,
    there is one feature i love about cingular though, the role over minutes thats pretty cool
    but other than taht i like verizon better coverage, better service

just my thoughts

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I have Verizon cell service with a family plan and it is not a good deal minutes-wise (2000 anytime minutes, 1000 mobile to mobile, unlimited N/W, shared on 2 phones for $125 a month) when compared to Sprint/Cingular/T-Mobile/ATT. But where Verizon wins is service and data features. The Verizon coverage area and call quality is excellent, and all Verizon plans include high-speed (144Kbps) wireless data access at no extra charge, it just uses your minutes. This means that you can connect to the wireless web with your laptop for free, with unlimited use on Nights and Weekends. I'm not sure if the plans include it by default, but if they don't all you have to do is call (800) 308-DATA from your cell phone and they'll add it for you.

7. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well my whole family contains cingular, att, and sprint. we were on sprint. they had a wide network and my parents liked it. and it was only 10 dollars a month for each of the extra phone we got, so its been the cheapest. but i hated sprint so i moved to att gsm with the t68i and have loved it very much. i get calls everywhere i couldnt get with my sprint phone and its nice and clear. the t68i has been the best phone ive used and ive had a cell phone since about 5th grade so ive been through my share of them. my mom hoped on cingular and she likes it, i was gonna switch with her but they ahvent put up there gsm towers so im staying with att. plus my mom has been out of town and i have called her a couple of times and her phone never got the call. but if there is one thing i have learned abotu cell services is that its dependent on where to live. try att, if you dont like it in 30 days, you can give it all back and just pay for the minutes you used.

iJon

8. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

isnt that one of the things they quote as being a sprint innovation? :)

9. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Well its mainly a choice between t-mobile and AT&T after doing some research.

Thanks for the input everyone.

scem0

10. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

definitely go t-mobile; they offer a lot of minutes for good prices

11. SpeedRacr26 macrumors newbie

SpeedRacr26

t-mobile and att are consistently rated as the WORST providers...and with experience w. t-mobile, which i dropped like a bad habit, at&t where i could never place a call since usually "no lines were available" and Verizon, g-ds gift to cell phone users, which one do u think i'd recommend?? I'd give a second thought to ur choices but thats just my opinion.

12. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

Re: Cell Phone Services

try Wireless Advisor. it's got a huge forum base. i did a lot of research & asked a lot of questions there before i settled on a plan (Verizon, thanks for asking) and i found it to be the most helpful, non-biased site.

good luck!

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

verizon ugh. if there cellphone plans are anywhere near as bad as their dsl service...ugh