Cell Phone suggestions

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tinydancer, May 31, 2006.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I am soon to be in the market for a new cell phone. My mac will ned updating in the near future as well, but after I have already replaced my cell phone...

So, my question concerns making the right cell phone purchase. I want somehtiong that will more or less sync with my future mac, so I guess we're talking bluetooth, right? I don't need a real fancy phone, but I would like somehting that has good capabilities. I just dont know what's out there, so anyone who has a Cell recomendation...It would be appreciated.

2. lynziwow macrumors member

phone

i like my samsung a900...or better known as the Blade.

pretty simple phone, Sprint's Razor knock-off...very awesome/bright screen and good 1.3 MP camera/video recorder

it's not the most Mac compatible phone out there, but the bluetooth syncing is possible, just google it to see how.

what do you want your phone to be able to do with your mac? phone as a modem? syncing address book?

3. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Try any nokia but especially the 8801 you can get some good deals on it now as it is due for an update.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

IMO any bluethooth enabled SonyEricsson will give you the the best, most "Mac like", user experience. They also sync very well with Address Book and iCal.

I recently got a Z520i to replace my old T68i. If you want a better camera (or just don't like clamshells) check out K750i. And if you want a better built-in music player try the W800i/W810i.

5. Sagger Pance macrumors newbie

in what way is it mac-like? I'm looking for a cell phone and I want something that will seamlessly integrate with my mac. I'm not big on cellphones... I kinda dont like them, but I'm relenting and I'm gonna get one. I have an ipod so I dont really care about music. But a decent GUI would be nice.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

7. dav macrumors 6502

Sony Ericsson phones have the best User Interface and Bluetooth integration than any other phone on the market. Buy one and don't look back.

Works flawlessly with BluePhoneElite, Salling Clicker, Address Book, iSync, Bluetooth File Exchange, etc.

I have owned a T610, K750, and W800 and have loved each and every one of them. If you can pick up a K750 for cheap, I highly recommend that. Even a K700 would be fabulous.

8. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I agree, they're great, i like my P900 best though. I have a K750i, and they're a decent phone, but if you don't treat it like a baby, it has a tendancy to sort of stop working. Well, the joystick on it anyway. Quite a few friends have them, and have had the same problem. One works for Vodafone, and has heard many, many reports about their failings from around the world.

I'd suggest waiting for the M600i or the W950i (same phone, different casing) - they're a hybrid P9xx range / normal phone range device. A phone with a big touchscreen, 3G, 4Gb memory on the W950i, and so on.

And no joystick to break. :rolleyes:

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The on GUI a SE phone is nice, stylish and intuitive, just like Mac OS is and most of their phones are nicely designed, both in form and function (just stay avay from the models with a joystick).

If you go for one with Bluetooth it also syncs your Address Book addressed and iCal calendar information very nicely, and you can use Bluetooth file browser to manage the files on the phone.

Other advantages (off the top of my head):

Most of SEs phones also plays music files, some as a walkman others just as ringtones, and can play both aac (unprotected), mp3 and wav, plus some other formats. So you can add music from iTunes (manually file transfer, not automatically), except from your iTMS purchases (unless you recode them first, which is a good idea for aac ringtones, anyway, they doesn't need to be any "better" than 32-48 kbps.)

Many SE phones also have very capable cameras.

10. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Ive had 3 Sony erricson phones in the past 3 years and love it. Their phones work Really well with OS X, everything transfers well through bluetooth. :D

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i have a V3i, the UI is not that bad and it's a damn sexy phone.

12. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I got I motorola razr v3 which Im very happy with. I don't go goo goo over phones like most people but I quite like this phone. Big screen, syns with iCal and address book beautifully. There are lots of threads about the v3 around macrumors if u r interested.

13. nutmac macrumors 68030

Upcoming Nokia 6126 for Cingular (due July 5th for around $150 with 2-year contract) is based on Series 40 3rd Edition UI, which is a huge leap forward. And with the right theme, it offers very Mac-like experience, and with upcoming 10.4.7, it will be supported by iSync.

Best of all, Nokia phones, particularly 6126, have rock solid reception and audio quality.

Mac OS X theme for Series 40 3rd Edition

Nokia 6126

14. macbookprolover macrumors newbie

macbookprolover

Definitely. I have a Motorola SLVR L7. Good phone, works with my Mac, and has iTunes (another iTunes + cingular phone, similar to the ROKR). But, if I were you, wait for the iPhone. Although, I've heard that since it has been repaired many times prior to its release (whenever it does), which means it might have a few problems. Also, Apple is rumored to start its own service, similar to Cingular, so if you wait for the iPhone, compare rate plans. It's your choice, but I would stick with iPhone.

15. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Can you let me know where you can get "some good deals on it" because I have been wanting to buy this phone.

To the OP, I would buy any Sony Ericsson phone, the W810i will be out with Cingular next month, if you want it now, you can buy it unlocked. I have used it and it is a great phone.

16. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I just got the Nokia E61 and it is a great phone, now all I need to do is set it up.

17. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

18. NickElls macrumors 6502

NickElls

RASRs may be too "in", but what about RAZRs? ;)

19. iShane macrumors 6502a

Well I for one love my RAZR. Nice big screen. I actually think its a good camera for a phone. I like the outside screen. Awesome design. I just think its amazing.

20. LBmacman macrumors member

yeah just get a razr... beautiful screen (outside and main) good reception/audio quality, and only 80 bucks w/2 yr service at cingular

21. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

The RAZR is a good phone ,i love the screen, but if your looking for something reliable DON'T get it. My cousin had one dropped it once and it just snapped. This could have been a fluke but it just dosn't look sturdy.

22. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I hate the RAZR I got one used t for 3 hours and is now in some drawer.

23. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I just bought my first-ever cell phone, the Razr V3. The decision was made
    easier because a few friends have them, and I have tried them out. One is a guy who
    tripped and fell on a sidewalk while holding his phone. He instinctively reached his
    arms out to catch himself and he made a fist around the Razr with his right hand.
    The Razr was slammed to the ground very hard as it protruded from his fist.
    It ended up with tiny dings and scratches on the bottom of the case, but that was all.
    Another friend has dropped hers several times, and you have to look hard
    to see any evidence. After a week of babying mine, I dropped it onto a sidewalk
    and it escaped with a tiny nick on the bottom.

Other notes: I really like the large rubber-outlined keyboard; I hate phones
    with tiny ones which need fingernail tips to operate. People have said to me
    that the Razr software/UI is inferior, but without any reference it seems fine.
    I made a bunch of ringtones from iTunes, encoded them at 64 Kbps mono
    (since that's what the stock ones have) and sent them via bluetooth. Very cool!
    Personally, I think all phones should have a mini-USB charging/data port,
    as I can charge/sync the Razr from the trusty ol' Pismo when I'm out and about.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Get a Sony Ericsson phone.

I had a T616 that I loved but had to give up when I switched to Cingular (mistake #1) and got a Motorola V551 (mistake #2) with my contract. Hated the Moto from day one but couldn't justify buying a new phone. Well, a month ago, the Moto finally started to crap out, so I replaced it with an unlocked SE w810i I got from eBay and absolutely love the phone. Now I just have to wait 6 more months until my Cingular contract is up to switch to T-Mobile

25. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

I would love to buy an iPhone. But for now I will have to stick with a phone that actually exists on the market.

I've had mostly Nokia and Ericsson phones. I would probably get a K750i or W810i if I had to get a new one today.