Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
Preview
Help! I would love to be able to back up the phone numbers off my brand new fancy shmancy cell pcs vision/web phone onto my mac (currently have an old g3 pismo running OS 10.2.8 but have a new 15" powerbook on the way! ). Also putting new ringtones onto my phone from my computer (rather than downloading them from the web -- unless you can send them back and forth as attachments or something. That's not possible, is it???) would be nice. My phone doesn't have bluetooth or IR. It does have a port for a USB data cable. I have a sanyo usb cable that is supposedly compatible with the phone (sanyo PM 8200) and usb port on my laptop of course. The sw they try to sell with the cable isnt mac compatible.

I heard that Isync could be used with a USB cable, but when I tried last night I just couldn't get it to sync (FIRST they try to get you to download iCal, THEN they tell you to buy .Mac, etc., etc.) I heard there is some hack or way to exchange data from cell phone to mac -- can someone please tell me how, officially or unofficially (i.e. apple only officially supports motorola phones, apparently) -- free would be great but if they sell mac sw that drives the usb that might be ok too. help!

Also i am considering returning this one and getting a phone (Nokia PM 6225 -- unfortunately i'm limited to sprint) with infrared because I'm told you can just synch that up easily to a mac, ditto with bluetooth. Is this true ?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I just bought a Sony Ericcson 616 with BlueTooth.
I was looking into Motorola T720 and then buying the cable. They wanted > $100 for the cable and software.
The 616 syncs great with iSync.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
phone/cable

I already have the phone (non bluetooth/Ir 8200 sanyo) and the cable. Can I use isync with it?

bastula

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2004
BitPim

There is a project that called BitPim that exists for this very reason. Originally it was designed to transfer contact info to and from the LG VX4400 from Verizon, but the scope of the project has now expanded and includes other LG and also Sanyo phones. Currently, the developers of the program are working on getting the PM-8200 to work, but it will be either this weekend or a few weeks from now until you will see support for it.

The url to check out is http://bitpim.sourceforge.net

As I already said, since your phone is very new, it is still under the trial stages so there is no guarantee that it will work, but there is a good chance you will see support soon. I personally own a Sanyo SCP-5500 with Sprint and it works fine. Since my phone is a little bit older, they do have support to download the ringers and camera pictures FROM the phone to your computer. There may be a possibility to send ringers and pictures TO our Sanyo phones in the future as well. Currently that is only supported on the LG phones.

Hope that helps you out. If you have any other questions, let me know. The support list gets pretty busy over there sometimes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the program does not talk to iSync and there is no program out there for any Sanyo or LG CDMA phone that works with iSync at the moment. BitPim is a separate program that access your phone through the USB cable.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
The only Sprint phones that allow iSync syncing are the Palm phones, the Treo 600, and Samsung i500. You may be able to get the T608 through Telesales, though, which has Bluetooth and can sync with iSync.

furrina

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
In tha 212
sounds good to me

Thank you SO much for the info!!! :)

I tend to keep phones a long time and I'm at least hoping I can back up stuff in the somewhat near future, I can wait a little while. I'll check up on it and hope for the best.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Flynnstone said:
I just bought a Sony Ericcson 616 with BlueTooth.
I was looking into Motorola T720 and then buying the cable. They wanted > $100 for the cable and software.
The 616 syncs great with iSync.

i have a t722i (its the GSM varaint with a few differences) and i just puirchsed the cable off ebay for liek 50 cents and use isync. i think you still ended up with a newer nicer phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.