Cell phone to Mac USB cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GanChan, Jan 1, 2007.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

I found this thing online. Is this all I need to connect my LG VX8300 phone to my Mini, or do I need additional stuff as well? I took a bunch of pictures and i'd like to transfer them over directly without having to email them all to myself.

http://www.igonemobile.com/product.aspx?p=14126

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's the physical connection but that doesn't say whether the software connection is available. You'll have to check that on Apple's web site or that of the BitPim software project.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, so I googled this phone, and it has Bluetooth but no file transfer service? :rolleyes: That's absurd. :( I think it will all depend on whether the phone was designed to mount like a flash card or like a camera. But I tend to doubt it will, because this is a relatively simple phone without a lot of storage on it.... If it mounts as a card, it'll show up on the desktop. If it mounts as a camera, it should just launch iPhoto.

To give you an example -- I have a T-Mo RAZR V3. Not the same phone, not the same company, not the same standard, etc, etc. But when I plug it in via USB cable, nothing happens except that it starts charging. I even initiated an iSync while it was plugged in and it still connected via Bluetooth and did the sync that way, rather than trying to use the cable.

There's a program called bitpim that may let your Mac actually talk to the phone, but it's not clear that it works with your cell.

4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it supports the 8300. Cool beans.

So I guess the onyl question is, can I do it with this cable (10 bucks), or will I need a USB card-reader and a removable memory card (at least 35 bucks)?

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Looks like just the cable and bitpim are enough.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Verizon disables bluetooth file transfer so you have to buy ringtones and wallpapers from them and pay for MMS to transfer photos from your phone to your computer. Its bullcrap if you ask me. The only thing Bluetooth on a Verizon phone is good for is a wireless headset, and maybe sync.