cell phone

Discussion in 'Community' started by daniel77, Mar 4, 2003.

1. daniel77 macrumors 6502

I am planning on getting a cell phone soon
    and i was wondering what you guys thought of this phone:
    It's a Kyocera 5315 btw

[​IMG]
    features:

* Vibrate alert and up to 15 ringer types
    * Supports BrowseNow and Two Way Text Messaging
    * Productivity tools include calculator, alarm clock, stopwatch, and countdown timer
    * Contact directory stores names, addresses, notes, and up to 200 phone numbers
    * Size: 3.4" X 1.7" X 1.0"
    * Weight: 3.30 ounces

Starter Kit includes:

* QCP5135 Handset
    * Standard battery (up to 3 hours CDMA talk time and 116 hours CDMA standby time)
    * User guide
    * AC Adapter
    * Warranty Certificate
    * Qwest Wireless Features and Services Guide

Its also 150 bux, but I am only paying for 50 of it :p

so what do u guys think?

2. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Does is have a color screen? If not, then I would go ahead and get a color phone, since that phone is $150. You could probably find a color phone for about that price. Right?

3. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I am assuming you have Verizon or Sprint service, since this is a CDMA phone.

I agree that you can get a color one for the same or even less money.

If you have Verizon, look at either the Audiovox CDM-9500 (the phone I will be getting this week) or the LG VX4400, though people have reported software issues with LG phones in the past. Don't get the Motorola T720 unless you want to pay more for a lesser phone, or you like it for some strange reason.

If you have Sprint, the Samsung line (either the N400 or the A500) is good, but the Sanyo with the camera is really cool.

As for the Kyocera you are looking at, I have a Kyocera 2135 and it has served me fairly well. I did have to have it replaced once, but that was for a minor issue that Verizon was too lazy to diagnose and fix (it probably cost them less to just give me a new phone).

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yes get a color phone, the monochromatic display will seem old fast. i'm personally looking at the moterola 720, even tho i've heard less than great things about it, i love the way it looks... it's like a startac with a color screen...

pnw

5. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

If you're willing to use a GSM provider, I would suggest the Sony Ericsson T68i. I have one and it's great! The built-in bluetooth allows you to wireless sync with your mac and there is some new shareware program out that would actually allow your phone to do things such as automatically turn off itunes when it detects you leaving your computer and stuff.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Which provider are you with? There are better phones availible.

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I have Cingular. I have a Nokia 3360 right now. I thought about getting a color phone, but have never really looked to see what kind of color phones Cingular has. I think that they have some motorola color phones. Anyone have a color motorola phone?

8. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you have Cingular get the T68. It is currently one of the only phones that works with iSync via Bluetooth.

Or you could wait for the P800, expensive as it will be...

9. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about the T68.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

and ive seen some good deals with the T68 too...

But I am no expert on phones, so that's about all I have to say. ;)

11. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am with qwest-you simply cannot beat 1000 min for 40bux/mo. I am however going to look around at some others.

12. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am afraid that it looks like I am stuck with qwest. i mean true i could go to like verizon get that nice audiovox phone with a color wscreen for the same price, but then i am getting like 300 minutes for the same price as my 1k minute plan. i just cant go with 10 minutes per day on a cellphone. it just wouldnt work. I really appreciate all that you guys said :)

13. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

If you're with Qwest they may be CDMA (I seem to remember them offering some Kyocera phones). If they are, you may be able to get the Audiovox phone, just not for $50.

14. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

well the phone is 150, but i just said "i" was paying for 50 of it (i am only 15)

if i can get a nicer phone for 150 from qwest then please do tell me :p other wise its that aforementioned kycoera, or like that 2135 model ::shudders:: or one of those like ugly one piece motoroala wavy things. ugh

:)

15. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Of all the Qwest phones I see on their site I'd get the Moto V60i for $150 (after $100 rebate).

Link

16. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeh but my dad said he really cant afford to put up 250 bux right now. and we all know it takes about 6 mo, to get a rebate

17. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ig you want the coolest of the phones out there...how's $649 sound for the new sony ericsson P800. i've never been a fan of ericsson, but this, damn, my boss bought one a month ago when they were mega rare, and over grand, if only i can get os x to run on it!

18. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Won't work with Qwest.
    It's GSM only.

19. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah um as a poor teenager without a job i sort of have a sub 200 dollar price range :p and it also has to work with qwest, as i cannot afford to spend over 40 dollars for 1000 minutes

20. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry double post

21. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

That's too bad. Their selection of phones is terrible; even worse than Verizons.

I say if that's the selection go for the Kyocera. Seems to be the best sub-$200 phone there.

22. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

If you're barely able to afford a cell phone, it's probably better not to get one.
    I mean, there are lots of other things your money could probably be better spent on, like investments :). It kinda sucks if most of your money goes directly to the phone company.

23. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

or just get a crap phone for sub 50 dollars, and you will be able
    to USE it, you just wont be able to show it off ;).

24. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Yeah, but what's the fun in that? Plus it's the monthly charges that kill ya anyway. I like my T68 because it's small and it has bluetooth, but people rarely notice it.

25. daniel77 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont like the t68i anyways, the phone is too small, plus i dont like that psuedo joystick thing