cell phones cancer

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Dec 9, 2004.

1. indifference macrumors regular

2. hype.it macrumors newbie

hmm.. good question.

they have been known to give of some sort of radio radiation, now sure how potent it might be to the human body. According to this site there's no connection, i suspect it's still early.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2000/600_phone.html

I mean, how long did it take them to discover smoking cigarettes was harmful to your health?

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

There hasn't been enough reliable studies to say for certain yet. Long term studies (the important ones) are still ongoing and almost all of the current literature refers to analog cell phones, which almost nobody uses anymore. Despite that, from current literature, the answer is an ambiguous no.

4. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Its another one of those 'There is no evidence to suggest' type of statement.
    What this means is that nobody has done any research and therefore there is no evidence.

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

1st generation mobile phones were pretty dangerous under some specific situation where the Power amplifier has to be pulled to reach the base station link, Analog phones. After the GSM propagation, SAR value has been a big issue for mobile phone & antennas manufacturers, there are standards on how to measure the SAR and how much is allowed. it's up to you to trust the regulation office ;)... nevertheless, I can see a lot of cases in the court because of mobile phones... in 20 years?

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course we'll probably see a lot more cases of battery-based injuries as the Li cells either explode or turn into 600°F flares in your pocket.

Quite a few of the "cheap/knock-off" batteries can be damaged when dropped... :eek:

7. sucahyo macrumors newbie

I read many handphone SAR references, but every manufacturer tell that handphone radiation is harmless. No manufacturer market their product as the phone that has lowest SAR. So I think every phone is safe. I also think every device working on frequency bellow ultraviolet is safe.
    I have SAR rating page on my website.

WHO (World Health Organization) also has the information on phone radiation

8. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

it would be interesting to see if people called companies and asked. After several times I was able to get T-mobile to admit to me they had not looked into it

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Mobile phones have low radiation that is all.

As long as you don't use it for hours to talk to someone since the phone does heat up and having it placed near sensitive tissue is not good for prolonged use.

Over time and usage it can and will built to cause the affected area to become cancerous.

Nothing more, just remember keep it short and sweet. :)

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Well, even though there are really no conclusive studies, I would have to wonder about holding a radiation emitting device to my head. I use one all the same though, it can't worse than the air I am breathing here in SoCal. Maybe exposure to low level radiation will encourage the evolutionary process to include radiation resistant skulls. Would we look that much different with radiation resistant craniums? Thick skulls may become attractive... the men with extra headbone get all the dates. What would that look like?

I'm not being entirely serious.

11. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Do you want a metal skull? How does metal fit into evolution? :)

12. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I was thinking more of a thicker skull, but a lead lined one would work I guess.