Cell phones heading into iPod territory

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 1, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I'd like to see some numbers to backup that claim. That seems very friggin high.

3. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

you can't tell people, "oh, while you're making nyour new song, can you make a shorter version for the cell phones?"
    that to me is stupid.

4. macrumors regular

IIRC it is not done that way. Rather people specialiced on that take the normal song and turn it into a ringtone with about zero influence of the creator(s).

Oh and about that 4 billion figure. At least in Europe they generally cost about €4 apiece and the kids are buying them as if the end were near.
    A total ripoff but until the kids get it the next generation is ready to buy. :(

5. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Does anyone here listen to MP3s on a smartphone? If so, what's the battery life like? I was asking my friend who uses an iPaq for music and his estimate was that it does not provide a very long battery life -- 4-6 hours, but he had not measured it carefully. I was wondering if it is the same for phones (or for that matter, if anyone else here uses a PDA that way)? I would think this would be a big concern of trying to take over iPod functionality in phones....

6. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well sorry about that space2go, i guess i didn't read it right at first. the artists dont have to do anything, but i would hate to make a song, and have it shortened. meh, the things that people do to make money these days.

7. macrumors regular

Yup. I guess the next step is studios telling the artists "You can't do that kind of thing; it won't work for a ringtone." or even worse "We have that popular ringtone, make it an album.".
    *shakes head*