Cell? The next G5 processor?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by applekid, Nov 30, 2004.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

Link

If you haven't heard, IBM, Sony, and Toshiba have developed a new processor named Cell. It will be in the PlayStation successor, but current reports seem to show it could be a powerful computer processor. It's also a 90 nm processor. The article even says the chip could be used in other hardware.

I was thinking, if IBM hasn't been producing our next line of G5 chips for our PowerMacs and PowerBooks, maybe whatever Cell turns out to be will the next line of G5 processors. It's a 90 nm chip, some advanced specs, and sounds sorta like a G5 to me. IBM has also been pretty busy manufacturing these days. They're taking care of some nVidia processors, the G5s, and rumors are out there that the next X-Box will be using a G5 chip and even Nintendo's GameCube successor will be using a G5 chip (but those are all rumors). If the G5 is really reaching all of these systems, maybe Cell is just what the next line of G5s is supposed to be? IBM could knock down a few birds with one stone, if the Cell turns out to be a G5.

So, what do you guys think? Crazy, ey? :D

In all honesty, I expect it to be nothing at all, or at least anything beneficial for Macs. But, it fits in the timeframe of updated PowerMacs and the E3 Expo, and IBM has been fairly quiet about the 970s lately.

2. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

3. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

The other thread probably makes this clear, but CELL is architecturally nothing like a G5. It shares an instruction set, that's all.

4. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Ah, I see. Another thread. My apologies. :eek:

My first Wasteland topic! ;)

5. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

You bring up an interesting point at the very least. But remember, there was so much speculation about what the original G5 was going to be, and they didn't get it right until a few months from the end - I'm thinking that we're going to be staying in the same general ballpark of under 3 ghz for a while, but I've been wrong before.

6. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

its not been wasteland(ed) yet! it lives! it lives!

7. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

i think what cell will do is simply grow the knowledge and techniques allowing them to create better processors in the future. We will not see cell replace the G5 but maybe see some integration of cell technologies

8. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I think Steve wants to make good on his 3 Ghz promise ASAP. Whenever that will be...