Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2002
St. Louis
I just read this article about Quicklink Mobile at Maccentral for connecting your Mac to your cell phone.

Has anyone used anything like this with Nextel? I have an unlimited cell package (awesome deal BTW). Does software like this use voice connection? What ISP will be dialed up? Do I have to sign up for data service--it's extra.

Do you really need 3rd party software to connect to the cell phone?

If anyone knows a little more about this stuff, let's discuss.

Thanks.

Tom Light

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
I can't seem to...

...make QuickLink work for me. Nextel "doesn't support Macs" for dialup, and QuickLink is point back at Nextel. I'm marooned looking for a decent cellular provider that can give me nationwide dialup.

Anyone?

Tom

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: I can't seem to...

Originally posted by Tom Light
...make QuickLink work for me. Nextel "doesn't support Macs" for dialup, and QuickLink is point back at Nextel. I'm marooned looking for a decent cellular provider that can give me nationwide dialup.

Anyone?

Tom

Verizon offers this service nationwide. An ISP is included in EVERY Verizon service plan (including prepaid), and you can dial in at 14.4 without any other internet service. I use this with my Audiovox CDM-9500 and it works beautifully. You can even get unlimited access at 144Kbps for $79 a month.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Originally posted by Stelliform
I just wish that these worked for a Mac. :(

I have heard there is a way to make these things work with Mac, specifically the Verizon version. I can refer you to the Yahoo! group maccellphone for more information on making various phones and services work with Mac OS X.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
I have heard there is a way to make these things work with Mac, specifically the Verizon version. I can refer you to the Yahoo! group maccellphone for more information on making various phones and services work with Mac OS X.

Thanks for the info!

Someone there said that they got this one working on a Mac, but that they had to initialize it with the software on a PC...

Here is their message.

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
If you're going to be away from interstate highways, etc where there isn't digital capability, you may want to look at this.. It supports both digital and analog cell phone data capability.

Here's the info on making it work with a Mac through OS9.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I am looking at the Samsung n400 to replace my current phone. Seems to be plug and play if you have the USB cable and 10.2.5 or higher. I found a doc on the internet on how to set it up for internet access. They say they are getting anywhere from 10k to 50k. Anybody have any opinions of the n400?

Moe

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Many RVer's use cell phones as modems, particularly with Verizon's America's Choice or Nation Single-Rate plans. Outside of major cities, where they also offer the faster Express Net, speeds are on the order of 14,400 bps. So throughout the day, you want to do quick POP mail downloads, read and compose responses off-line, and then upload them at the next download. Web email such as hotmail, not to mention web forums, are just too slow to use during primetime. You definitely want to have unlimited nights and weekends (as well as a lot of patience) to do those things. Unfortunately, unlimited nights and weekends are no longer available with Nation Single-Rate, and America's Choice has a LOT of roaming areas, particularly out west.

Another problem is that these are digital services, and if you're at a campground very far from an interstate highway, you many not have digital service. Considering that, and the fact that sometimes you just NEED faster service, you really need to also have an ISP with as many local number dial-ups as possible, such as EarthLink or AOL. As I previously mentioned, you can use an Ositech card for data access in analog areas, but you're usually limited to 9600 bps on these.

Finally, there may be places where you have neither digital service or a local toll ISP number, so you need to carry a phone card to make long-distance connects.

Data over cell phone is pretty slow, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than a Motosat (automated DirectWay) setup. DirectWay setups can't be self-installed because aiming a transmit antenna legally requires a certified installer. I've heard of a DirectWay installer who installs on RVs, AND trains and certifies the owner to be an installer, LOL!

[on edit]Oh yeah, with satellite, you also need a Windows PC to control the sat antenna. You can use it as a router to feed a Mac.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
I have a siemens S55 on its way to me - you can use them as a GPRS modem accross bluetooth or a USB datacable.

Theres a couple of useful links to other sites from this document, including a load of modem scripts for numerous handsets.

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
did something similar 2 or so years ago... connecting a poewrbook (pismo i think) thru the IR port to my old Nokia that had IR on it also. it was nice to check email and such while at Lake Tahoe, in a cabin with no electricity or phone! :D

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Has anyone done this sort of thing with Sony Ericsson phones?

I'd love to have BT connection to the web the next time I'm on a long road-trip.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
I am currently sitting in the waiting room of the Auto repair shop that I use. I am connected to the net via my new Sanyo 8100 phone. Speed isn't stellar (like a 9600 dial up, but I am not near a tower anyway.)

But the reason is that I can.. :) This is too cool!!!

Check this site out on how to do it...

skymaXimus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
Originally posted by Stelliform
I am currently sitting in the waiting room of the Auto repair shop that I use. I am connected to the net via my new Sanyo 8100 phone. Speed isn't stellar (like a 9600 dial up, but I am not near a tower anyway.)

But the reason is that I can.. :) This is too cool!!!

Check this site out on how to do it...

I use this too. I'm verry happy w/ sprints service and PCS Vision rocks!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.