Cellphone recommendations....

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, May 6, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, so my Nokia screen has died, again. I need to buy a new phone and am kind partial to the Sony Ericsson phones. Anyone have any recommendations as to what is a good one to get??? I would like to get either a Nokia or a Sony Ericsson, preferrably the latter as they seem to be the best option for iSync etc...

things I would like in a phone, although not 100% neccessary:

Bluetooth support (i'd like to be able to sync with my mac as much as possible)

Colour screen
    Polyphonic ringtones
    camera
    relatively compact in size
    mp3/aac playback
    caller id graphics

I have looked at the P800 and it's great, but, it's a little big, and it's a little out of my price range (although I can stretch if it's worth it). I've also looked at the T600 which is great in size, but basic. the new T610 looks good, and is a big possibility (it has DRM too, why?) also the Nokia 3650 looks nice, but is it better than the P800 or no?

what d'ya think peeps????

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

What cell company are you with? Not all companies offer the same phones.

3. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

i was going to get a factory unlocked one, so anything will work, but just for the record, i'm with t-mobile.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This website has some good, in-depth reviews of mobiles, maybe it'll help your decission, it did mine (Just bought a Nokia 8910).

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

get a sony ericsson t68i so i can brag about how at least one other person on these forums has the same cell phone as me ;)

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    the t68i has everything you want, minus polyphonic ring tones. i just got mine a little while back, and i love its bluetooth. talks great with my mac.

you can buy a camera and a mp3 player for it, but truthfully, get a REAL digital camera and a REAL mp3 player if you really want those features. cell phone cameras suck and are low resolution, and very expensive. cell phone mp3 players are expensive and low in storage space.

the t68i is still FREE + $30 back through t-mobile right now i think.

take the money you saved and buy an iPod and a digital camera.

7. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Hey, Evo's got a 'tar... Oooooooo!

Cute choice, although I would have guessed a red Intergrale with a liver-bird motif on the doors:D

8. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

come on now, i'm working on it a'iii ;)
    seriously, that's why I don't have it, it's either gotta be the holy 'grale or the liverbird. unless you could come up with an amalgamation of the two that fits in the little 50x50 square.... :D

(and it's evo with a little e :) )

i thought this 'tar would tide me over 'til i get the new one sorted, good for morale, me and the britboy are getting ready for a full on assault against these seppos here hahahaha :cool:

9. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

aaaaanyways, getting back on top....

yeah i looked at the T68i, but, i'm one for me gadgets, and it's getting a little old already :rolleyes: i know i know. but then i do have to look like i'm on the ball when i go into a company to fix their macs, and having the latest gadgets is a good thing :D

edesignuk ... i actually had a look at that site, nice.

i think i've pretty much decided on the phone i'm getting now though the T610 which isn't out yet, and that's good, as i'm broke until i get paid haha.

10. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

old?

old? mine is only about two weeks old! :rolleyes:

actually, the only reason i was able to get the t68i is because it was free. I can't afford anything right now that actually costs money.

i would go with the P800 if you want NEW technology, i have played with my friend's on several occasions and it is amazing, plus, as a mac person, you need to get it since it has bluetooth, it will save you so much time since it is able to sync with your mac seamlessly. all you need is a $30 usb bluetooth adapter.

11. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Wait, how does that work? I'm locked into Verizon for another year, and I would like to get a Bluetooth phone but Verizon doesn't offer any nor do they have any plans to in the near future. I'm quite happy with the Verizon service, I'm just not satisfied with their selection of phones.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

get the one that causes the phone shaped tumors fastest. ;)

13. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

He's talking about a phone that will work with any GSM provider. Verizon is a CDMA provider, so only phones for Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, and other CDMA providers could even conceivably work on Verizon, if unlocked. There is also little market for unlocked CDMA phones, I believe.

On switching from Verizon, I wouldn't. Unless you have a bad experience with their service (in which case they might let you break your contract with no fees), you won't be happy with a GSM provider. Their service quality just isn't up to the network that Verizon has built up in most of the U.S. The only one that comes close is AT&T, but that is on their aging TDMA network, which does not allow for high speed wireless data like GSM or CDMA networks do.

I use Verizon and am extremely happy with the service. I'm not giving it up for a phone that'll be obsolete in 6 months to a year.

14. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

i really liked my verizon service also. never had any problems with it. much better than sprint ever was for me. i unfortunately had to switch when i changed to my t68i, but I would go back with verizon if i am not happy once my new contract is up.

15. evoluzione thread starter macrumors 68010

evoluzione

funny you should rave about verizon. here in nyc they are complete crap. mind you, they all are. i used to be on verizon, (and bell atlantic before they became verizon) and i was not happy with the service, one bit. mind you, i am used to european cellphones and service, which is about 3 years ahead (not so much these days though). i went with t-mobile as they seem to be the best shot for world-wide, i had vodafone in england (now t-mobile) and voicestream here (again, now t-mobile). they were awesome. i went to australia a few years back, phone worked perfectly, called halfway across the world, and it cost me next to nothing. now though, their service has slipped, and i got rid of my vodafone in england as they sponsor a football team who happen to be my teams biggest and oldest rivals pretty much. anyways, i digress. the cdma phones are available unlocked, so can be used with any service, just do a google.