Cellphonee recommendation (cingular)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by danny_w, May 7, 2006.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My wife and I are about to change plans (she's on AT&T TDMA, I'm on Sprint, both w/o contracts) and I need some advice on what phone to choose. Cingular seems to be the only carrier that works well around here (I think I've tried most of them) so I am limited to phones that work with their network, and don't want to spend a fortune. both of us want flip phones.

She wants just a basic phone that is easy to use with a clear display, and that can be easily cradle on the shoulder. I am wanting bluetooth,but don't much care about other features.

We just went to BestBuy and looked at their poor assortment. She liked one of the Samsungs the best (the D357 maybe?) but nothing really interested me. I looked at the RAZRs but don't really care for the odd flat design and difficult to use keys, plus which the menu seemed slow. The local Cingular store was closed so we couldn't look there.

Does anybody have any favorite phones that would be good? I wanted to look at the SE and Nokia phones but haven't had a chance yet.
  2. janey macrumors 603

Dec 20, 2002
    sunny los angeles
    i like the sony ericsson s710a's (i think thats the model) and phones similar to that. personally, i have a razr, i dont think it's horrible, but text messaging is a bitch on the keypad.
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That is indeed the model, and it's great. I've had mine for almost a year now, and there have been zero problems (like my T68i, and very unlike my T610)
  4. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I looked at the razr phones and they were certainly glitzy looking, and at a good price for a bt phone ($50). I don't text message, so that is not an issue. Can they be opened easily with one hand? And can you dial without looking at the keypad (it seemed very flat to me)? I have never owned an se phone, but may take a look at one. a lot of people seem to like the z520a a lot.
  5. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    i have an SE z520a which, for the price, has worked out real well for me. i personally like it better than the RAZR, both because of it's ergonomics and menu interfaces. i have had no problems syncing with bluetooth and other than the cheap-ness feeling of the plastic (and the silly antenna), it's a great phone.
  6. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i say stay away from cingular.

verizon performs consistently better.
  7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Not true, Depends on the area.

Right now the selection form cingular is rather poor. ive been wanting to get a new phone, but cant find anything worthwhile.
  8. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

I agree. I have Cingular and sometimes believe I would be better off with 2 tin cans and a string.
  9. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003

Im not so sure about that, other than I always get excellent service/full bars/whatever you want to call it.

I think any (current) SonyEricsson phone will be good for you. I love the UI and the usability of the phones, compared to something like the RAZR, which my mother has and is crap (not to mention slow). I can't understand why people want one of those things (aside from the size). Anyway, I have a SonyEricsson Z520a and it is really, really nice.
  10. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Apr 16, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    But... but... cingular has the least droped calls! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cingular does have the best phones though.
  11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    here in the bay area cingular is the "best wireless network":rolleyes:
  12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    It really depends on where you live and go. I have had cingular forever and have never had a problem. Verizon on the other hand doesnt even get service at my house. It really depends on where someone lives.

As for your wife, I would suggest getting the Nokia 6102. Durable and big screens. Also very bright. Its pretty basic but you can call people and it works really well.
  13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    I remember my Moto being a bit slow, but my SE (T637) does have a tendency to lock up for a couple of seconds and then preform every action that I pushed the buttons for all at once. That can be a bit disconcerting. I don't know if any of the other SE users have had the same/similar problems, it may have been just the T637 line or just my phone. It is enough that barring the iPhone, I will be reconsidering Moto for my next phone.

Oh, and another Cingular user here - with better service from them than with Verizon (except in the Metro tunnels where V has an exclusive contract)