Cellular Modem

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by blackbird, Apr 14, 2003.

1. blackbird macrumors newbie

I was wondering if there is any hardware/software available for the mac that would allow me to use my Motorola V60t as a cellular modem. I know Motorola offers the cable but they do not support Apple... Most of the other companies out there do not suport apple either. I was wondering if anyone knows about this for the mac and where can I get it. Or can I get the Windows version of the cable and run it under Virtual PC or will OS X see it so then I do not have to install any drivers?

Please let me know, as I will be making a purchase soon.

Thanks,
    Gabe

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Cellular Modem

What service provider do you have? I have Verizon and they offer a dial-in service for free (uses you minutes, but I have UL N/W). It's limited to 14.4kbps.

If you have Mac OS X and the proper USB cable, then you should be OK. Just plug the phone in and OS X should recognize it.

Definately check out this the Yahoo! Maccellphone Group for some more info.

NOTE - even though Moto doesn't officially support the Mac, doesn't mean it won't work. They just don't want to have to support Mac users and answer questions all day.

3. blackbird thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Cellular Modem

My cellular provider is Cingular. Im not sure about this "dial in service" but can I use my own ISP and dial-in at 56k? I know this will use minutes. I will be sure to check out the group, Thank You!

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Re: Re: Re: Cellular Modem

You should definately be able to dial into your ISP, but note that you will not get anywhere near 56k. The best you'll do would be 14.4kps.

Also, I don't know how Cingular bills data calls, but they might charge differently for data versus voice. And if you get the data kit, don't bother with the $60 package. All you need is the cable (they go for around $20 for the OEM cable). Calling your ISP will definately be a data call, although I'm not sure if their billing system will be able to tell or not. Maybe just use it a little and wait for your bill.