Censorship part 2

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Mar 21, 2002.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The question of censorship has been raised again:

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?postid=39785

My reply is below:

This messageboard is not censored by Apple...

The thread in question was not deleted by any of the moderators/gods. Users have been able to delete their OWN threads... which is probably what happened.

Due to the confusion that this causes... i've disabled this ability to delete threads you start.

Posts are only deleted by the moderators if they are:

1) pointless posts just posted to increase post counts... for example 5 posts which each state "I agree"

2) blatently offensive or illegal posts (warez/serials)

all other off-topic threads/posts will get closed rather than deleted.

Note: Frequently, people post to the wrong forum. These messages will be moved without warning to the proper forum.

You're allowed to voice your opinion - good or bad about Apple. If this was not the case, I'd have banned gocyrus a while ago...

You just have to choose your battles however to get heard...

if you post real criticism/opinions and can have an intelligent discussion then that's great... i'm all for it.

If you post "Apple SUX" 5 times in a row and incite a flamewar... I will close (not delete) the threads as this is NOT the place for advocacy/flamewars. It's about rumors discussion and forward looking topics about Apple.

arn

2. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Gocyrus was even funny some times.

Can you add a spell check? I'm getting a bit better every time but there are some other people (that have English as their first language) that man...

3. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

mymemory: we definitely need a browser for osx that uses osx's built-in spell checking.

arn: this isnt related to cencroship and what not, but im kinda curious. ive been noticing that the server is having capacity problems lately. during the last two weeks my browser times out before getting a response from www.macrumors.com and today i started getting the "server is busy please try again later" messages a lot. has server traffic increased a lot during the last couple weeks. i would have thought that the time before mwsf would have been busy so i just found it odd that problems are cropping up now.

4. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The traffic has been larger... I think part of the problem with today's server loads has been more the database connections...

I had sort of a stopgap approach with the older articles... which hit the database with each page view... this apparently got to be too much with lots of hits to those older articles... i've since changed them to static pages... so it should help.. .we'll see...

arn

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

wow i guess the site is really taking off. is the advertising and merchandising filling the server's needs?

6. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

not yet... still running at a loss...

arn

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

so far have u sold many mugs yet? I can only remember seeing a few of us who have...

8. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

OmniWeb uses the spell checker in OS X. I use it, it's super handy.

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I realize this is off-topic, but I don't know where else to bring it up.

Has the idea of hiding users' post counts, or moving them to the users' profiles page and hiding them from the main pages, been given any thought? What I'm seeing now are a few people in the high hundreds who are great and commendable posters with lots of insightful things to say, but then there are those with approx. <200 who feel like they have to "catch up", like it's some kind of competition whereby more posts = higher Macrumors social status. Not to name any names, but I see quite a few dumb and useless one-line posts that add absolutely no value whatsoever to the discussion, and only serve to increase a user's post count.

I'm not plotting any revolutions, I was just wondering what the site admins' opinions on this were.

Alex

10. BeerDrinker29 macrumors regular

It seems like you're supporting the stereotype. I've seen quite a few senseless posts from people with high post counts (and one liners, too.) People should not feel a need to have to catch up, as post count and wisdom should not go hand in hand. I think the best way to "fight" this problem is to treat everyone equally and give each poster, regardless of post count, fair and equal thought.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I agree completely. I don't think I came across clearly enough, though. My concern is not that low-post-count people are making bad posts. My two main concerns are that:

1) Most people, because post count is displayed in the forums, have a tendency to post just for the sake of posting, with the sole intention of increasing their post count.

2) Post count is seen as a measure of Macrumors social status. The more posts you have, the more people pay attention to you, no matter how inane your posts are, and no matter how little sense this makes. (Again, not to name names.)

In my opinion, displaying people's post counts on their profile pages instead of in the discussions would help to skim out some of the junk and would make the average post more intelligent. There are other sites using this same bulletin board software which do this (acmelove.com to name one), with pleasing results.

Alex

12. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

If you see blatant one word/line posts that have no purpose than to increase post counts... report those people to me...

arn

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I don't wanna be a snitch or anything... 'twas just an idea. :)

Alex (<-- Ha! Two lines!)

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Re: Censorship part 2

Ahh... I smell a way to increase posts! "apple sux apple sux" sorry hehe...

I do agree with everyone here that the "posts" count is a little off, although when I started here I was afraid for my first 20 messages that you guys would look at me as a "newbie" and not pay any attention, tho i found everyone here was very welcoming... I see people rushing to get an avatar, and I wonder why. it's just a little icon, for the love of god. it's not like you get a free G5 with every avatar...

Sure it's nice to be looked at and paid attention to, but if you simply post worthwhile things, it gets the same attention that 1000 posts gets. Part of me feels bad, because post counts are so important here, and one certain thread got me like 40 in a day... it makes me look like i was trying to up my count, when i was simply involved in a discussion.

I love this site, and hope to stay quite a while, but people please pay attention to quality and not quantity. i love the ability to joke around and go a little off-topic sometimes, but i'm afraid we'd lose the ability to do that if this post-counting gets serious...

wait, what was the orignal thread? censorship? hehe... i'm confident that the higher powers here at MacRumors aren't randomly deleting things. to sum up, don't post stupid crap and don't worry about it :)

pnw

15. oldMac macrumors 6502a

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

put the post number in the member's bio and not on their post

have only the demi-gods have their designation on the posts

have you noticed but we almost have 5,000 members...really cool and an indication we are all doing something right...he he

17. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

Yeah, but most of these 5,000 members don't contribute much, or just register then leave.

I think there's only about 50-100 true regulars here.

18. gambit macrumors member

Maybe...

But I think 150-200's more like it.Ahh... mixed emotions!:D :( :mad:

19. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

its also important to remember that just because people arent posting it doesnt mean they arent members of the community. most of us i believe read these boards for a long time before finally registering and posting.

go down to the bottom of the page and check the "Who's Online" section and you will see most of the people here are guests not members.

Also think back to the days before you got really involved in posting here. I think many of us will recall feeling as though we already knew everyone well before we clicked that "post" button the first time, i know i did. i was reading these boards nearly from day one, but it took me months before i finally hit that button.

its hard to really determine the size of the community here, but i would suspect it is much much larger than 100-200 folks.

20. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

The only thing I'd even think of buying is the mousepad...maybe in a few years...hey Arn...what sort of job do you have?

21. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

When Spymac was saying this place was deserted they only 2000 members and we have almost 5000, idiots! (Sorry to any Spymac members, I no you are not all bad, cept there is one guy who comes over a bit strange, andy7ps or summut like that)

Ensign

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

daily regulars is about a dozen...maybe we have fifty regs who come in at least once a week...many high posters from the past have dropped off

and eyelikeart and me are the only regular daily members from the 2000 era but neither of us posted that year