Censure??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Roger1, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Censure motion introduced in House over Iraq, torture

Larisa Alexandrovna

Print This | Email This
    Ranking House Judiciary Democrat Rep. John Conyers (D-MI) has introduced a motion to censure President Bush and Vice President Cheney for providing misleading information to Congress in advance of the Iraq war, failing to respond to written questions and potential violations of international law, RAW STORY has learned.

The resolutions were quietly introduced Sunday evening along with a third resolution (HR 635) to create a Select Committee to investigate the administration’s intent to go to war prior to congressional authorization. The committee would also be charged with examining manipulation of pre-war intelligence, thwarting Congressional oversight and retaliatory attacks against critics. As part of this resolution, House Judiciary Democrats seek also to explore violations of international law as pertaining to detainee abuse and torture of prisoners of war.

More....http://rawstory.com/news/2005/Censure_motion_introduced_in_House_over_1220.html

Anybody know if this is real or a hoax???

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no idea if it's real. will be interesting if it is, though, and if it has legs.

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Doesn't appear in the Congressional Record, so I doubt it's real.

4. Roger1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Roger1

Maybe I need to fire off an email to Mr. Conyers letting him know about this.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

6. vniow macrumors G4

7. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    though i agree with the sentiment, i think it is ill-timed. at this stage, i don't see the point of any democrat taking steps to publically censure bush. i've quite enjoyed watching the wheels come off this administration without any political party bickering.

the war, torture, plame, katrina, harriet myers, domestic spying...just sit back and see what bush and cheney can do when they're given enough rope.

a censure's just gonna seem like a political swipe and lord knows we've moved FAR beyond that.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but it is a political move. remember the (iirc) two times the house voted to withdraw troops from iraq immediately? that was a gop ploy to try to get some dems to hang themselves by voting for it.

imo, this is the reply, and i think it's a lot more smart. any gop congressman who votes against it (well, them, since there are 3 of them) is, in fact, saying it's okay to lie and that congress doesn't need to bother with an investigation when it's being lied to by the administration.

what'll be interesting is:
    1. if it'll come up for a vote, and
    2. which gop congressmen vote in favor

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Actually, I like the idea of a censure campaign. I tell everyone who talks to me about impeachment that such notions are nonsense given the make up of Congress, but censure is a whole other kettle of fish. It is a way of telling congress they must act and take up their oversight responsibilities. It's also something people can organize around.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The danger is, the resolution won't get much support from members of Congress and will end up looking like yet another feeble political attack on the White House by Democrats -- which is not what we need just at the moment when some Republicans in Congress are putting some distance between themselves and the administration. It seems to me that if the Democrats want to respond effectively to this scandal (something new for a change), that they've got to be unified in their methods and goals right out of the box. Is Conyers being a leader here, or is he charging off on his own? I suspect that latter, but we'll know soon enough.

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well you can't really blame Conyers for being Conyers. The Democratic leadership on the other side of things (ie the DLC, Joe Lieberman,) are the ones who should re-consider cozying up to the WH. Definitely court the Republicans who are feeling nervous about where Bush is taking us, the Hagels, the Snowes, the Murkowskis. But stop helping Bush out when he's in trouble. Rove would have Bush would pull the rug out from under you if the situations were reversed.

I don't know if Conyers is leading a unified charge or is out on his own. But even if he is on his own, he'll attract a lot more supporters now than he would have a year ago or six month ago. It won't be just Conyers out there.

And pretty soon Michael Moore will have been compared to just about every Democrat around...

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you're going to raise your sword in the air and yell "Charge!!" it might be a good idea to find out if anybody is behind you. I guess I've had enough with the windmill tilting. I'd prefer to see the opposition do something meaningful.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

A good general doesn't have to look to see if anyone's with him. ;)
    So would I. But that's not gonna stop Conyers from doing something like this. I may not agree with his tactics, but his principles are sound. And it beats the hell out of a Democrat telling people that all the satellite dishes in The Green Zone are a good sign of progress in Iraq.