Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianPeppers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Toledo, OH
Hi all,

I'm currently in London (1st week here) and not very familiar with the shops around besides Oxford St and parts around London Wall.

I went into the Regent Street Apple Store to find out they sold out of the wireless Mighty Mouse on the first day. Are there any other stores near by that stock in Apple hardware.

In Los Angeles and Adelaide (Australia), it was easy since there's several Apple Retailers/Resellers all over the place but I find London pretty hard to navigate in terms of electronic shops!

Thanks.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You could try 4th floor at John Lewis on Oxford Street (large department store near Oxford Circus, north side of street)...

...then there's Micro Anvika on the right-hand side of Tottenham Court Road, near the intersection of Tottenham Court Road and New Oxford Street. Not far at all...

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
London
Applespider said:
There's also Micro Anvika - either at Tottenham Court Road or in Selfridges.

I would head down to Tottenham Court Road. There are two Micro Anvikas and loads of other computer shops.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
The technology district in London is on Tottenham Court Road. So what I'd recommend is just walking down that road and popping into any of the shops there to see if they have the MM. I don't think you'll be successfull though as I doubt resellers have got their hands on it here (the reseller market in the UK isn't exactly buoyant).

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Ah, beaten by the others... :)

Here's another then: Square Group, just 100 metres or so along from Tottenham Court Road along New Oxford Street, north side, opposite Jessops the photographic retailers.

BrianPeppers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Toledo, OH
Thanks for that guys!! Will check out either tonight or the weekend...

Hopefully I'll end up with the mouse because doing photoshop work with my new macbook on the trackpad is getting tiresome :(

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Blue Velvet said:
Here's another then: Square Group, just 100 metres or so along from Tottenham Court Road along New Oxford Street, north side, opposite Jessops the photographic retailers.
I love the Square Group. The Mac-only Micro Anvika on Chenies St. (opposite Goodge St. Tube station) is the best of their shops, but they don't have Jazz playing like Square Group do :)

Just stay away from the PC World opposite Warren St. and you'll be fine.

Glassbathroom said:
I would head down to Tottenham Court Road. There are two Micro Anvikas and loads of other computer shops.
In total there are four Micro Anvikas either on or just off TCR. Worse than Starbucks ;)

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
dynamicv said:
I love the Square Group. The Mac-only Micro Anvika on Chenies St. (opposite Goodge St. Tube station) is the best of their shops, but they don't have Jazz playing like Square Group do :)

There's a Mac-only Micro Anvika?!? Ooooh...I'll have to try that one.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
AppleCentre West One is only open during standard business hours though, and their selection of software and peripherals is dwarfed by the one at both Square Group and Micro Anvika. They are more of a Mac support provider for businesses. It's a real step back in time to how Macs used to be sold when you walk in there. Apple circa 1992.

BrianPeppers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Toledo, OH
Sounds like Tottenham Court Rd is the go :) I always get out of work at 7 here in Moorgate, so I guess I have to put off the tech shop exploring till tomorrow!!

London is pretty cool but why is everything so expensive :) or am I looking everything from the US Dollar perspective ehhe!

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
BrianPeppers said:
Sounds like Tottenham Court Rd is the go :) I always get out of work at 7 here in Moorgate, so I guess I have to put off the tech shop exploring till tomorrow!!

London is pretty cool but why is everything so expensive :) or am I looking everything from the US Dollar perspective ehhe!

Yep, London is expensive. In fact, compared to the US, everywhere in the UK is expensive. I always view London being to the UK what New York is to the US - in that it's pricey, huge, and perhaps the least 'British' place in Britain.

However it's also easy to save money. You barely ever need to spend money to entertain yourself, especially in summer. Go to londonfreelist.com for some pretty cool free things. There are always free festivals, carnivals, comedy and music gigs going on. On the other hand, because London is soooo big, just take a bus or a tube to some corner of London you've not been before and walk around. It sounds stupid, but it can be quite fascinating. In terms of food, there are dozens of markets in London, as well as incredibly cheap restaurants if you look hard enough (the Indian YMCA gives you curries practically for free).

Oh, and get a bike. You'll save yourself £100s.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
However it's also easy to save money. You barely ever need to spend money to entertain yourself, especially in summer. Go to londonfreelist.com for some pretty cool free things. There are always free festivals, carnivals, comedy and music gigs going on. On the other hand, because London is soooo big, just take a bus or a tube to some corner of London you've not been before and walk around. It sounds stupid, but it can be quite fascinating. In terms of food, there are dozens of markets in London, as well as incredibly cheap restaurants if you look hard enough (the Indian YMCA gives you curries practically for free).
They had a performance of Cosi Fan Tutti last night in the Fitzroy Square gardens. Although it was £25 a ticket to sit on the grass with your picnic etc., you could sit on any of the benches in the square and watch or hear the performance for free. Handy for the nearly-free curry too :)

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Sesshi said:
Not in this weather mate. You'll spend all the £100's saved on beers and £1-a-500ml-bottle waters.

Bottled water is a scam anyway. Just fill up a bottle. Nothing wrong with London water. Well, apart from that big dirty ol' river that flows through London; that's a bit filthy.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
FleurDuMal said:
Bottled water is a scam anyway. Just fill up a bottle. Nothing wrong with London water. Well, apart from that big dirty ol' river that flows through London; that's a bit filthy.

The Thames is actually one of the cleanest urban rivers in the world now.

Aside from when Thames Water dump sewage from overflow drains into it after heavy storms :rolleyes:

Back on topic: please don't use TRAMS for any Apple stuff. They're incompetent.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
drlunanerd said:
The Thames is actually one of the cleanest urban rivers in the world now.
Still wouldn't drink from it though. Especially as it's tidal up as far as Teddington.

Mmm, salty water mixed with mud :p

BrianPeppers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2006
Toledo, OH
Cheers for the tips guys. I'll enjoy myself for the few months I'm here. So far I'm not but thats because of the stress at work!!

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
BrianPeppers said:
Cheers for the tips guys. I'll enjoy myself for the few months I'm here. So far I'm not but thats because of the stress at work!!

Just make sure you get out of the centre. One mistake visitors make when coming to London is thinking that London begins and ends in Zone One.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
FleurDuMal said:
Just make sure you get out of the centre. One mistake visitors make when coming to London is thinking that London begins and ends in Zone One.
Does it not? I thought from the centre out it went Zone One, Zone Two, Ends of the Earth, Scotland :D

Applespider

macrumors G4
BrianPeppers said:

Hey... and make sure you come out for a drink with us at some point ;)

Not sure if you're a sports fan, but Bodeans on Poland St shows a fair amount of baseball and football and does great smoked ribs. Pals and I watch the NFL there during the season most weekends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.