Centrino PowerBook Sighting

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by patrick0brien, Apr 15, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

Thought you'd like to know.

go to www.wired.com

At least when I tried it, a java ad for the new Centrino showed up.

And the computer bouncing and floating around the screen? Well It sure looked like a Powerbook 180c to me.

I don't know, I could be wrong, and I can't get the ad to do it again.

What do you guys think?

2. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

i think 802.11b was a great idea.... 3years ago?

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

don't know why the PC world is going nuts over centrino, it is old...
    802.11g is so much better...and newer...and faster

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its not any faster for surfing the net, just for networking. So in a lot of cases, 802.11g isn't a big deal to a lot of people, sort of like gigabit ethernet.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

yeah i know and people like me would find it useful.

6. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

When I first saw this thread title I was like "oh god, not another person who wants Marklar to be a reality because they're too cheap to actually use a mac."

Mac's always look better than PCs.

7. BubbaTAC macrumors member

Unfortunately G doesn't quite work yet unless all of your machines are on G, the second a b client connects then they are all stepped down. I don't think this how the standard workd, but all the reviews and my own experience show that it happens.

B may be old, but it is cheaper than G, and since mh house has a b print server (they don't make G ones) and some b clients, it is the same either way. If people have different experiences, post them here

8. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

It just bugs me that intel is running these ads like "oh, we invented wireless networking! do something no one has ever done." when what they're selling is old, slow technology compared to G. let's face it though, the only reason they're marketing B, is so that in 8 months they can introduce CENTRINO EXTREME.. or some other nonsense in the form of 802.11B. *sheesh* Capitalism does not a good computer make!

9. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

FUD FUD FUD

if you guys pulled your heads out... (i know... never gonna happen)

the big news with Centrino is not wireless, but the new battery life / low power usage of the P4 proc.

Centrino's kick the sheat out of G3's and G4's for battery life now.

--

*belch*

10. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Interesting Angle

-Sorry guys

Al good points you make, and I agree. However I guess I wasn't more clear in my original post.

What I was noticing was not the Intel "We got WiFi" bandwagon. It was the irony that it was an Apple PowerBook used in the ad!

And in answer to yzedf's coment of Centrino's "Centrino's kick the sheat out of G3's and G4's for battery life", while true, but only if you don't use the machine. :)

If you do, the processor "napping" that maximizes battery time reduces, and with that, so reduces your battery time. But I guess this is the best that Intel could do at this point.

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

*snort*

I guess that begs the question: what do art guys/gals know about computers? ;)

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: FUD FUD FUD

Actually, the TV ads would make it seem like wireless netwroking is a whole new thing that Intel just invented. The particular one I've seen has people moving their desks along the street, on a diving board, in a track field, etc. While this does advertise the battery performance of the Centrino, it focuses on the ability to connect, and therefore work, wirelessly.

13. ELYXR macrumors regular

If you look at the Airport Extreme box it states that in "G" mode there is only a 50ft range while in "B" mode there is a 150ft range. Is this indicative of the standard?

14. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Re: Re: FUD FUD FUD

Yes, but did you notice that they were still at their desks? ;)

15. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i think that really sucks. if i were Apple, i would make an ad (or a lot of ads, like the stuff Dell copied and stuff), pointing this out!

Apple the "been there, done that" company. They can't be sued by Intel, right?