Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

Thought you'd like to know.

go to http://www.wired.com

At least when I tried it, a java ad for the new Centrino showed up.

And the computer bouncing and floating around the screen? Well It sure looked like a Powerbook 180c to me.

I don't know, I could be wrong, and I can't get the ad to do it again.

What do you guys think?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by übergeek
don't know why the PC world is going nuts over centrino, it is old...
802.11g is so much better...and newer...and faster

its not any faster for surfing the net, just for networking. So in a lot of cases, 802.11g isn't a big deal to a lot of people, sort of like gigabit ethernet.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by strider42
its not any faster for surfing the net, just for networking. So in a lot of cases, 802.11g isn't a big deal to a lot of people, sort of like gigabit ethernet.
yeah i know and people like me would find it useful.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
When I first saw this thread title I was like "oh god, not another person who wants Marklar to be a reality because they're too cheap to actually use a mac."

Mac's always look better than PCs.

BubbaTAC

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2002
Unfortunately G doesn't quite work yet unless all of your machines are on G, the second a b client connects then they are all stepped down. I don't think this how the standard workd, but all the reviews and my own experience show that it happens.

B may be old, but it is cheaper than G, and since mh house has a b print server (they don't make G ones) and some b clients, it is the same either way. If people have different experiences, post them here

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
It just bugs me that intel is running these ads like "oh, we invented wireless networking! do something no one has ever done." when what they're selling is old, slow technology compared to G. let's face it though, the only reason they're marketing B, is so that in 8 months they can introduce CENTRINO EXTREME.. or some other nonsense in the form of 802.11B. *sheesh* Capitalism does not a good computer make!

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
FUD FUD FUD

if you guys pulled your heads out... (i know... never gonna happen)

the big news with Centrino is not wireless, but the new battery life / low power usage of the P4 proc.

Centrino's kick the sheat out of G3's and G4's for battery life now.

--

*belch*

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Interesting Angle

-Sorry guys

Al good points you make, and I agree. However I guess I wasn't more clear in my original post.

What I was noticing was not the Intel "We got WiFi" bandwagon. It was the irony that it was an Apple PowerBook used in the ad!

And in answer to yzedf's coment of Centrino's "Centrino's kick the sheat out of G3's and G4's for battery life", while true, but only if you don't use the machine. :)

If you do, the processor "napping" that maximizes battery time reduces, and with that, so reduces your battery time. But I guess this is the best that Intel could do at this point.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Re: FUD FUD FUD

Originally posted by yzedf
if you guys pulled your heads out... (i know... never gonna happen)

the big news with Centrino is not wireless, but the new battery life / low power usage of the P4 proc.

Centrino's kick the sheat out of G3's and G4's for battery life now.

--

*belch*

Actually, the TV ads would make it seem like wireless netwroking is a whole new thing that Intel just invented. The particular one I've seen has people moving their desks along the street, on a diving board, in a track field, etc. While this does advertise the battery performance of the Centrino, it focuses on the ability to connect, and therefore work, wirelessly.

ELYXR

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2002
Seattle
If you look at the Airport Extreme box it states that in "G" mode there is only a 50ft range while in "B" mode there is a 150ft range. Is this indicative of the standard?

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Re: Re: FUD FUD FUD

Originally posted by ibookin'@mwny
Actually, the TV ads would make it seem like wireless netwroking is a whole new thing that Intel just invented. The particular one I've seen has people moving their desks along the street, on a diving board, in a track field, etc. While this does advertise the battery performance of the Centrino, it focuses on the ability to connect, and therefore work, wirelessly.

Yes, but did you notice that they were still at their desks? ;)

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Originally posted by cr2sh
It just bugs me that intel is running these ads like "oh, we invented wireless networking! do something no one has ever done." when what they're selling is old, slow technology compared to G. let's face it though, the only reason they're marketing B, is so that in 8 months they can introduce CENTRINO EXTREME.. or some other nonsense in the form of 802.11B. *sheesh* Capitalism does not a good computer make!

i think that really sucks. if i were Apple, i would make an ad (or a lot of ads, like the stuff Dell copied and stuff), pointing this out!

Apple the "been there, done that" company. They can't be sued by Intel, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.