CEO Invision Power Board, Matt Mecham Is a Goddam Liar!

Discussion in 'Community' started by TommyLee, Sep 29, 2004.

1. TommyLee macrumors regular

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

You can still test out the Invision Boards by setting up a free one here: http://www.createforum.com/

Only noteworthy limitations: There must be at least one post every 30 days, and they determine the link to your forum. That's it, it's still free.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

i was with their community for a couple years, I was even on the staff for awhile. No, not as a paid staff member, a volunteer who devoted my free time to the support community. Matt was never a bad guy...a liar now, yes, but he's not a bad guy, and a Mac user too. Charles, the other head of IPS was the one who was money hungry. I honestly think all Matt wants to do is code and make enough cash to get by in life, which he's been doing. While I'm sure Matt agreed with the decision to make IPB free no more, I'd put money on it being Charles who pushed to take away trial downloads.

Am I surprised? Hell no, I saw it coming. It was bound to happen and it finally did. And it really is a kick in the ass for everyone who's been with the community since the days of Ikonboard (couple years before IPB) and helped make IPS the company it is today.

FWIW, today, IPS is a mini-Microsoft. They can't stand competition and were always making changes to the license agreement to somehow get some money out of you. First IPB was completley free, then it went to free but no support, then it went to an unlimited trial, then a limited trial based on the honor system where you would buy it if you use it, now this. And InvisionFree, the free IPB hosts are kinda screwed now because 2.0 has something in the license agreement that doesn't allow anyone to run a hosting company with IPB. It really is sad because a couple years ago, IPB was a wonderful community. Not anymore.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

PHPBB and especially vBulletin is much better anyway.

5. TommyLee thread starter macrumors regular

Who said anything about phpBB?
    This is corporate treason. And not only is Matt a liar, but he's a thief.

Just yesterday he admitted to taking code from phpMyAdmin, a GPL software, which means Matt has been breaking the law by reselling it.