Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The supplier of Apple screens Sharp says that Apple is switching to advanced organic light-emitting diode screens for their future iPhones. He would not say when this will happen. But Tai Jeng-wu hinted during a speech at a university with a rhetorical question that if Apple (their biggest customer) wanted to move production to the US, why wouldn't Sharp do so. Tai Jeng-wu is also an executive at Foxxcon (Hon Hai Precision Industry). Source: http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Com...firms-new-iPhones-to-adopt-OLED-panels?page=1

"We are now building a new [OLED] facility in Japan. We can make [OLED panels] in the U.S. too," he said. "If our key customer demands us to manufacture in the U.S., is it possible for us not to do so?"

"The iPhone has been evolving and now it is switching from LTPS (low-temperature poly-silicon) to OLED panels," Tai told students at Tatung University. "We don't know whether Apple's OLED iPhones will be a hit, but if Apple doesn't walk down this path and transform itself, there will be no innovation. It is a crisis but it is also an opportunity,"

OLED screens offer battery savings and more possibilities - including bendable and flexible screens as seen in the Samsung line. A transition from LCD to OLED isn't something that Apple can achieve overnight.

Many expect the iPhone 8 to be the first OLED, but Sharp's CEO didn't confirm this or hinted at it. Instead he mentioned that Apple has some catching up to do.

So who knows, iPhone products in 2017, Apple's 10th anniversary iPhone lineup might just be:
2x LTPS models
1x OLED premium model

[edit]
Personally I am a little bit confused as to the position of Tai Jeng-wu, he's President of Sharp Corp, but not CEO perhaps. Sorry if I got this wrong.
[doublepost=1477914491][/doublepost]Additional thought:

For uniformity, performance, glass to edge or at least option for smaller bevels, accurate and bright color display on smaller OLED screens, are great for a fantastic looking futuristic design, VR, and a fresh new design.

[LCDs are a great cutting edge high performance display technology for Tablets to TVs, but for small handheld Smartphones, OLED displays provide a number of significant advantages over LCDs including: being much thinner, much lighter, with a much smaller bezel providing a near rimless design, they can be made flexible and into curved screens, plus they have a very fast response time, better viewing angles, and an always-on display mode. Many of OLED's performance advantages result from the fact that LCDs are dependent on transmitting the varying characteristics of their White LED backlight – but for OLEDs the sub-pixels are directly electrically powered to emit light, which can provide better color accuracy, image contrast accuracy, and screen uniformity.

Because of their very flexible power management capabilities, OLEDs are not only more power efficient than LCDs for most image content, but they now deliver much higher peak Brightness than LCDs because of this. However, for mostly all white screen content LCDs are likely to remain brighter and more power efficient for a while.]
source: http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone7_ShootOut_1.htm

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
... and in other news, analysts predict that temperatures will be lower in January in the northern hemisphere, enough so to cause ambient water to freeze in some places. They also stated they expect temperatures to rise raise again in the following months.

:rolleyes:

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
... and in other news, analysts predict that temperatures will be lower in January in the northern hemisphere, enough so to cause ambient water to freeze in some places. They also stated they expect temperatures to rise raise again in the following months.

:rolleyes:
I think there's a bit of a difference between hearing this from the President of sharp and an analyst not directly involved in the actual production of the phones' screens.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I think there's a bit of a difference between hearing this from the President of sharp and an analyst not directly involved in the actual production of the phones' screens.
Any CEO would always be hopeful for customers buying their products. Doesn't mean it's guaranteed, all it says is he's very vocal about his desires.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
He's not just throwing that out there, either.

63782398.jpg

.... at this juncture, IMHO it's pretty safe to say that at some point in the future Apple will use an OLED screen. Guaranteed? Of course not. Still, it's the direction the market overall is heading towards.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The hate is strong with macrumors these days. I apologize for sharing some news and information.
Won't happen again. You are right, there won't be oled screens this year, despite that the president of the company that manufactures them for Apple says Apple wants to move to oled with them, be it in the us or not.

Sure, they are just words until Apple sells their phone and you hold it in your hand.

But I forgot this is a rumor web site, and this is the first thread that doesn't fit right in. It's all my bad, I am sorry for have wasted your time quoting someone in the field, directly involved with the company manufacturing. I promise you my next posts will be all about personal opinion that are guaranteed to be wrong and based on poor analyst assumptions and 'because he posts for the verge' blogging. etc.

But let's discuss this nonsense, rather than stay on topic, it makes for much better conversation.
[doublepost=1477920837][/doublepost]Guess it is still news worthy, https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/31/sharp-confirms-oled-iphones/

Reactions: ABC5S

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Geez, someone woke up on the butthurt side of the bed this morning.

Chill dude. I'd commented with amusement on the Sharp CEO's predictions of something that seems fairly obvious. Nothing about your post, or about you until you'd missed the entire point.

Now go get some Preparation H or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.