Certain images crashing iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adriantoll, Nov 3, 2006.

1. adriantoll macrumors member

I've recently been experiencing problems with a few photos in iPhoto '06. They were fine when I imported them from my camera (there are four of them that cause the crash, out of about 250 that I imported), and for a while after that - I've used them in slideshows and so on. But just recently they've started crashing iPhoto whenever I've tried to edit them or do anything with them like view them in slideshows.

They're fine when I'm just viewing the library - I can select them, put them in albums etc. but just not edit them, and they open fine in all other applications like Photoshop and Preview etc.

I've tried rebuilding iPhoto by pressing apple + alt while opening it, and while it will rebuild the small thumbnails without any problems, if I select "Rebuild all of the Photo's thumbnails" it crashes after a while, presumably when it reaches those photos.

After that, I put copies into a desktop folder and deleted them from iPhoto, and now iPhoto crashes when I try to reimport them.

I've also tried opening them in Photoshop and saving as a copy etc. to see if that would "reset" any problematic metadata or something, but no luck.

I'm stumped! :confused: Can anyone find out what's the matter with them? You can download two of them here: http://www.adriantoll.com/iphotocrashimages.zip

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I've downloaded them and opened them without a problem in iPhoto and Photoshop. I had the same issue, with a few photos crashing iPhoto repeatedly. My problem was resolved when I uninstalled QuickTime 7.1.3 and downgraded it to 7.0.4. It's worth a try, I think, but look it up on Google, because it isn't exactly straightforward.

3. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Thanks skunk - I'll keep that option in my back pocket for now, in case I can think of (or hear of) something less complicated. Hopefully a software update might fix this. I'm off now to search the apple forums to see whether someone there has the same problem / an easy fix... I'll post back if I find anything.

4. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Just recently I have been having the exact same problem with only a few random pictures. The instant I go to edit them or even zoom in on them iPhoto closes.

Thanks for the info Skunk, I may have to try it or wait for an update.

5. adriantoll thread starter macrumors member

Found it first time :)

There are a few workarounds here:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304487

The first one (opening them in Preview, assigning a profile, then importing) worked perfectly for me.

I'd put a copy of the files on the desktop, deleted them in iPhoto, emptied the iPhoto trash and rebuilt the thumbnails and library so I could try to fix them outside iPhoto, so all I needed to do was open them in Preview and import - I'm not sure how it would work for photos that are already in iPhoto.