Certain Websites not loading/displaying

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mart007, Oct 19, 2006.

1. mart007 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

(first post, be kind).

I've done a bit of a search, but can't find what I'm looking for. Have my intel Mac sitting behind a adsl2 modem. Website in safari & firefox load fine, apart from certain sites (such as www.distrowatch.com). However, my laptop (dual boot XP/linux) can connect to these problem sites absolutely fine, sitting behind the same adsl2 modem/router.

Any thoughts? I've tried two browsers, cleared settings, run the repair/fix options in System preferences (disk utility).... any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Martin

2. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, and quick addition - have ethernet connections, wireless/airport not enabled...

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Trying your posted link in Safari and I can't get it to open either. However clicking the link directly from Google works everytime. I'm not sure why it doesn't work but thought I'd add my results for comparison.

Edit: this is from Google http://distrowatch.com/

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Hi Martin and welcome.

When I copied your link it was:

http://www.distrowatch.com)

I removed the bracket and it loaded in Safari without a problem.

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

You've included the ')' in the URL.

Edit: beaten by seconds...

6. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies - it's not a typo in the URL (if only!!) ... there are several website that this ALWAYS happens with in either safari/firefox, but only on the mac..... not on the laptop. I can get several more examples if needed, but www.distrowatch.com has never worked on the Mac. Bizarre, eh? I'm on the laptop now, running pclinuxos, and I can goto the distrowatch website no problem. Pop on the mac, no joy. If needed, I can get other websites, but I know youtube is one.....

Happens with two browsers, with two different accounts on the mac.

Thoughts?

7. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Well, I don't know, but the problem is presumably with your setup because I can access distrowatch.com fine on Safari on my iBook G4. There is some horizontal scrolling, which I assume is just bad design.

8. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

How very bizarre!! Oh well, thanks for checking (drags laptop back out...)

Cheers

9. streetr8cer13 macrumors newbie

hi i was searching google and found this intresting post and seem to have a similar problem.

i have a core duo mac mini and i have tried firefox beta rc3 firefox 2.0 and safari and cannot rectify my problem.

sites i cannot conect to include

youtube.com
    myspace.com
    distrowatch.com (tried out of curosity)
    and more that i cannot think of

any suggestions

note: the sites do not time out they just instantly display cannot connect message i have a pc as well that can connect just fine i created another account on my mac and that account could not connect to the mentioned sites either

10. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup - ditto. That's exactly the problem I have!! Have tried turning the mac firewall on/off (there's a firewall on the router), no joy. Have logged in with different users (ie different accounts on the mac), no joy. Have run the various disk repair & permission utilities - they've reported no problems.... it's very odd, and annoying, really, since nothing seems to be wrong (ie I don't seem to have done anything hugely), but my linux box connects straight away via that same router/firewall. It's clearly something on the mac, but can't seem to get any insights into troubleshooting....

11. streetr8cer13 macrumors newbie

before i take it back to the apple store im going to try it at school today to see if it could possibly be my network if it doesnt work then that definatly means its my mac

(i run the sound and lights for my school play and theyre doing a haunted hallway thing tonight so im gonna be there lat anyway ) but if the test fails then im gonna bring it to apple and see what they say

12. streetr8cer13 macrumors newbie

i just connected on my friend's proxy server and the sites that did not previously work suddenly worked. hoewver switching to my local connection, they do not work. this confuses me as to the fact that this is the first time this ahs happened to me and ive never had this sort of problem viewing sites

any advice?

13. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

That's odd. I initially thought proxy/dns, but realised (d'oh!) that everything's set on the router, (which the laptop also uses), so back to drawing board.

14. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Let me know if you take it back to the shop... I'd be gutted to have to do that, but the problem is getting slightly annoying!

15. streetr8cer13 macrumors newbie

i havent been here in a few days and figured id stop by,

i ended up just reinstalling since the thing was a mac, it wasnt the big of a deal to do and i could just copy things back over from my external drive.

however, after giving some thought and observations i have come to two possible conclusions.

1. the problem may be flash based since youtube and myspace both run on flash

2. if by chance you use Peer Guardian, disable it, it my be blocking HTTP i wouldnt know if these are the issues because i reformated, but its a good possibility

(btw i reinstalled flash in a last ditch effort to no avail.)

16. mart007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the post - I've been busy!

I did the firmware upgrade for my modem/router, but no joy. I'll check the peerguardian - I'm pretty sure I haven't got it installed/running, but won't hurt to check.

I take it yours was all OK after the reinstall?

17. streetr8cer13 macrumors newbie

yep it works perfect if you havent installed peerguardian than thats probably not the problem but i had been using it so thats what came to my mind

try reinstalling flash too

macs and flash seem to get funky sometimes

18. djjay0131 macrumors newbie

Websites don't display on MAC on certain DSL Networks

Have you had any luck figuring this out? I have several clients that have the same problem. www.acsa-arch.org, www.naab.org. Same results. On PC on the same network fine, MAC no. Same MAC on diff network, works fine. All indications point to the modem, however I am stuck figuring out what the problem is.

19. boast macrumors 65816

boast

what do you get when you do

Code:
    $ nslookup naab.org

20. themajor macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem, but it's with google. I've posted it about it in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=474586)

i'm not sure what nslookup is, but i get this back for google

Odin:~ tjbeck$ nslookup google.com
    Server: 192.168.1.1
    Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: google.com
    Address: 72.14.207.99
    Address: 64.233.167.99
    Address: 64.233.187.99

21. djjay0131 macrumors newbie

we get this back

Last login: Wed Sep 3 20:24:47 on ttys001
    lee-waldreps-macbook:~ lwaldrep$ nslookup naab.org
    Server: 192.168.1.1
    Address: 192.168.1.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: naab.org
    Address: 216.52.123.228

22. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

23. boast macrumors 65816

boast

just to rule out it being a DNS issue.

hmm, maybe for some reason mac denies access to the site via http? try using telnet to try and connect to the site

Code:
    telnet google.com 80 
    GET /index.html HTTP/1.1 
    host: google.com 
    $press enter

or replace google with w/e troubled site. and index.html with .htm or w/e it may be

24. Vakshay macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem too. Hotmail, Myspace and Meebo, as well as some others I've tried, cannot be loaded. I rang the Apple service centre and they were at a loss. They recommended reconfiguring/reinstalling the entire system, which sounds like a very time consuming and difficult process. Has anyone had results after backing everything up and starting again?

25. bluelf88 macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem too. I'm on a Macbook using the most current Safari. no matter which network I'm connected to, i can't load yahoo, youtube, my college's website, google (though that one started working again). but some of the other sites mentioned like myspace, facebook, etc. work fine. me and my friends are stumped...